Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Tell Me You Love Your Job!

Hi. I've always taught in either KS1 or Reception. Absolutely love Reception (have whole intake in Sept so work with 'Nursery') and KS1. Always thought I'd love Nursery so pushed to go in there next year. BUT... covered the current teacher's PPA today to get a taste and I'm sorry to say I didn't like it! I knew it'd be tiring but wasnt prepared for how many times you have to repeat yourself, sort out disputes, get told NO! etc. xD

I'm really hoping it was just because it wasn't 'my' class yet - in that I was having to follow the current teacher's planning, set-up, routines etc which whilst it works for her, isn't done in the way I would like to do it. I know I'm going to want to make changes and my head supports this, but in the mean time please share stories of how much you love it and why so I can start to feel positive again :o

Thank you

Don't even think about it now. It is horrible weather, nearing end of term, children grouchy, you are grouchy, support staff are grouchy, the role-play area still the same as last half-term and isn't likely to be redone, reports need doing so assessment activities etc.etc. Not your class, routines etc. as you said. You will enjoy it when it is YOUR class, so go for it! Not so dissimilar to Reception really :) Well that's what I'm hoping anyway as I'm moving from Reception to Nursery in September too (and like you have a full intake in September) We'll have to keep in touch to share how we're doing. Have you got an am and pm session?

Thanks puzzles - your reply has made me feel better already. You're probably right - I'm only on here to avoid doing my reports! Would love to stay in touch to see how it's going. One good thing is one of the TAs I work with at the moment is coming with me and we get on really well. :o

Ooh - just spotted my next post - this one - is my 100th! Not many for how long I've been a member but have gone in to KS1 for a few years between npw and joining!

I LOVE MY CHILDREN... But we have a member of staff who covers me on courses and she says what hard work they are. I think this is because she cannot cope with the freedom in the classroom, no set out activities, self chosen resources, lots of child initiated play, free flow outdoor play etc. The particular member of staff hates mess but my philosophy is put away before chosing something else and when the sorting music goes on we ALL tidy away. People have very different ideas on the foundation stage and they also have very different teaching styles. You will find your children in September are ready to be shown how you do things, understand boundaries, and how to resolve conflict/minor problems unaided, but with the support of a kind, caring practitioner on hand if required. YOU WILL BE FINE!!! ITS A BALL, NEVER A DULL MOMENT AND LOTS OF FUNNY MOMENTS TO SHARE, we can't wait to hear yours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)