Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bereavement Leaflet

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Please can you help?

A child in my reception class has a dad who will die this year from bowel cancer. he has been told by his mum and dad .I have informed all staff that he may want to talk about it...

does anyone have an information leaflet for staff on how ro talk to children about this????

Thanks everyone Tinkerbellx

Hi Tinkerbell

I am so sorry to hear of this news for the little one in your class and the family. Having just lost my mum to cancer it will be very tough times ahead for all concerned. Do you know if the family have contact with either a hospice or McMillan nurses as they are bound to be able to point you and the family in the right direction for emotional support.

We have a little girl in our class who lost her sister late last year and she receives play therapy through the local hospital.

She also has a special time each day (this has been organised with mum and dad's consent) with her key worker to talk about anything and everything that is on her mind. Sometimes it is directly about her sister, other times its nothing connected. However, we have found this time hugely beneficial for her (and us). You might want to consider this at a later stage. It's so important that the bereaved are giving space and time to talk (or not) about their loved one.

Best of luck Tinkerbell as it is not easy for all concerned

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks Apple

This is the second tragedy my class has encountered although it hasn't really started to materialize yet.Another of my boys lost his baby sister 4 months ago, she was 3 months old and we were all getting to know her before and after school.It was very sudden and he didn't come in the day after.I told the class and sent a note home with all the children to prepare the parents for questions etc.My 4/5 yr olds were amazing...they said we should make him a card and one little boy talked about how he had lost a baby too ( I hadn't known this)they went off making cards.

When he returned he told us all in registration time and the children hugged him and talked away.We can be working or playing and he will say something about his baby sister....the other children too talk about her death.

Quote 'Do you think your mum will have another one?' he replied he didn't know then one little boy said'well my mum wont have another because my dads had his willie cut off!!!' I had to turn away,laugh or cry????

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)