Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whole Group Time - When?

Just wondering when other settings timetable whole group time, and for how long. I am trying to organise the morning to allow for maximum self initiated time, and am a little unsure about starting the day with a whole group time, as currently the children self register, then get on with self initiated play. Could others share when they have this time in the morning, and why? New to all this, so would be grateful to hear what is working for people out there!

we do it at the end of the session but split the group into 2 (max 10 each group). In this time we alternate between news, story, music, letters and sounds.

The morning session works well for allowing remaining staff to get lunches out. The end of the day one allows staff to leave for after school clubs

I am looking forward to seeing your replies as I would like to maybe change the time of our group times,we have ours after snack as this is usually the middle of the session. however, I'm not sure this is the right time as the children are normally ready for a run around after eating. I've seen some replies about group time on here having it at the end of the session so I'm wondering if this might work better.

Edited by max321

We used to do it mid morning before snack but them we moved to rolling snack for first half hour of session then group time at the end (see my previous post). We didn't think this would work and were very reluctant to trial it but we wouldn't have it any other way now - it gives the kids loads of time to get engrossed in what they are doing

I allow time for self-registration and settling-in (approx 15 mins) then we have registration and a 'special helper' is chosen. Note - whilst registration is taken 15 mins AFTER children arrive, a member of staff marks the children in the register as they come through the door.

I then go right into Letters and Sounds (10-15 mins) and after that it is free play until tidy-up time at about 11 a.m. Once the toys have been tidied away we get into our key person groups (3 groups) when the time is used for storytime or circle time.

On a course last year I was told that there should be maximum uninterupted play and that any group time was best organised for the beginning and end of the session. We have a cafe style snack. I find that it works well for my setting. I am in a maintained nursery.

Edited by Guest

Guest pamgreen

our children arrive and go to their key person groups where they have group time, then they are free to choose where they play. This lasts till about 11.30 when they rejoin their key groups for story. During the free play session adults are based in specific areas of the nursery. The children access the snack area as and when they need to.

hi

our children enter the nursery and self register at 8.30. As the children come in I do letter recognition just by holding up SATPIN letters and the children say the song with the jolly phonic action. This has had a massive impact on the children with recognition not just in this contxt but other print references and writing especially boys!!!!! This is done for 5 mins until all most children are in. The children then have child initiated play and continuous snack from 8.35 - 11.05. We then tidy up and gather together for letters and sounds, story time, music, circle time etc from 11.15 -11.25 then its collective worship and home time 11.30. This works best for us and our setting.

kate :o

we have self reg and then the children sit in a circle for welcome time where we sing a welcome song do some actions talk about the day and date, choose helpers for the morning and quick chat about what we are doing this takes 10 mins but we will slowly increase the time as the year progresses and my little ones get a bit older

the children then free play until 11.30 - 11.40 when we tidy up and then have story or singing and do some letters and sounds

We have staggered drop off so the very beginning of the session would be too difficult. We self register then free play. At around 9:30 (flexible if someones in the middle of something like a workshop craft) we have a teaching focus carpet time with all children but we don't tidy up or anything and this lasts 10mins. After carpet time snack opens, outdoor play door opens and theres an adult lead activity most but not all days.

End of session we tidy-up then go keyworker groups/areas for calendar/story/song/rhymes etc Staggered pick-up starts during this time so children can be getting up to leave after 5 mins and some are there 20mins.

Under constant review to reflect the childrens needs and may change in January when numbers increase with younger children.

our children arrive at 9 and self register, then gather on the carpet for sticky kids or action songs while everyone arrives. We then have a bit of a news sharing and talk about what may be going on that day. They then go into key person groups or letters and sounds groups by about 9.20 and spend about 5-10 minutes on an adult planned activity. Then they free flow within our room, snack comes out and they come along when ready between 9.30-10.30. Then the doors open to the F2 area once they have finished their adult time, and the free flow environment gets bigger so the children can access the extra rooms of the F2 space. We then tidy up at 11.35 and have about 5-10 minutes at the end of story/song time, before they collect their belongings for home time at 12. So they have about 2 hours of child initiated/free flow time

In the afternoon the children arrive at 12.15 with lunch, first ones finishing about 12.35 when they can access all the toys within the room, but not the painting/creative at this time due to lunches taking up the tables) Then when everyone has finished and any who have had lunch at home arrive by 12.45 we gather on the mat for news/talking about the day. Go into key person or letters and sounds groups by 1pm, then free flow by 1.15. Doors open at 1.45 to F2 so they can access there as well, then we tidy up at 2.45, have snack together in the afternoon at 2.55 then story/song at 3.05 before going home at 3.15

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)