This consultation closes on 30th September, 2013. The government proposes to:
- remove burdens and simplify processes, enabling providers and parents to more easily navigate the system;
- replace the General Childcare Register with a Child Safety Register, working together with the Early Years Register to offer greater flexibility and clarity;
- maintain and strengthen the safeguarding and welfare requirements, ensuring consistency around the essential requirements for keeping children safe;
- make it easier for schools to offer out-of-hours care and accept younger children;
- support parents to make common sense, informal arrangements with their friends and neighbours by increasing the amount of time that a child can be looked after from two to three hours without needing to register;
- introduce greater flexibility for providers operating in multiple premises while maintaining safeguards.
The consultation can be found here