Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

beth1

I have just found some jobs going in a local primary school, which I worked volutary for 1 day (long story). Well at the time there was a pre-school nursery/out of school club run privately and now it seems something has happened because they are adversting various postions. :(

Pre-School Manager, Deputy Pre-school Manger different pay scales both 30 hours per week. :

Pre-School Assisants at 27.5 hours per week on a lower pay scale.

Now there seem to be very little information on each postion. :(xD I don't know which to choose which could be the best postion, condidering I am studying for the Foundation Degree Early Years course on a Thursday and Friday for one year only it will be one leatucre on each day. This last year ended up being: Thursday 4.00 til 7.00 and Friday 11.00 til 1.00 but this could change. :o

I have to send a SAE to the headteacher for further information and application forms. :rolleyes: Plus the interviews are when I am on holiday, although a simlar thing happened as they telephoned me up and asked if I could attend an interview when I got back to England. ;):( :unsure:

What a confusing decision to make and the jobs don't start until September 2007. xD Knowing my luck I will just miss out on the jobs. :wacko:

Beth

Do you prefer working closely with the children or do you prefer doing lots and lots and lots of paperwork as managers do. Hopefully that should help you make up your mind.

With regards to interviews, if you explain that you will be away on holiday they may make exceptions and interview you earlier or later on your return.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Oh by the way have a good holiday!!

I have decided to apply for the Deputy Pre-School Manager as it looks like I will have the best of both worlds. :o Paperwork and children which I like to mix together. xD One thing is that I would like a job where I can put my new knowlagde into action from my foundation degree eary years.

Beth

Well I think I am, but on past experience I have thought this but then it turned out to fall through. xD I went for an interview/work trial a few weeks back but the nursery never came back to me at all. So I have decided not to put all my eggs in one basket! :o

Beth

:o

Thought you were sorted beth?

To Beth

how was doing th foundation degree? and would you recomend it if I am working full time?

Vivienne

Guest Wolfie

I am mentoring someone who is doing the Foundation degree and working full time and she has managed the first year OK - a bit stressed when coursework deadlines are looming but overall she has managed really well. I think good time management and a disciplined approach have helped enormously!!

Vivienne

I would recommend studying the foundation degree, although I am studying it part time over 3 years. xD The last year I ended up working and studying part time. :wacko: BUT I can tell you that some of students who studied full time found it hard to work full time also. You need to be very orgainised to work full time and do full time study at the same time. :o

I would recommed trying to the part time route as you will have more time to work and study ass the workload can get a little busy. :( I have really enjoyed learning new skills and hopefully I will find a setting in the near future to put all these into practice. :(

Plus other people will come a long to tell you their experiences. :( Or visit the training area of the forum to find the Foundation Degree section and you will get loads of advice from previous posts.

Beth

Would agree 100% with that one Wolfie. I am studying the FD over 2 years (1 to go!) and working full time. I also have a little one who is 3 years old and quite demanding. It is hard work but it is so much fun.

Good luck Vivienne with whatever you decide. There's lots of should I, shouldn't I posts on here so have a search through. Oh, and welcome to the forum!