Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Science Week

Science week next week seem to always do the same ideas every year, so was just wondering if I could call upon you lovely people on this site to help me out and share any ideas you have.

Got some ideas magnets, light and dark, weather activities outside, melting, dissolving. Have recently covered growing through planting and hatching chicks would love to try something new!

The children are reception aged. Hope you can help

Thank you!

:o

What about floating and sinking-making boats, we once did this and invited children to draw a design at home and bring things in to make it. They then built their boat during the week and we floated them under supervision on a paddling pool, they loved it. For the 'sinking' maybe they could make a sea creature fish, octopus,shark,etc and try to weight it?

Guest tinkerbell

Last year we based our science week on a book. My Reception class did the Little red hen.We tasted different breads and made bread in a bread making machine.They made their own dough and we made a different one each day from the Little book of dough eg,peppermint,coffee,sticky,elasticy.....We planted seeds, made masks,role played etc

Tinkerbellx

Why not read that wonderful book - Who sank the boat?' and then get the children to investigate what happens when you add things to a boat?

Start off with one boat (plastic margarine tub) plus a big lump of play dough - so big that it will sink the boat if put in all at once -

Now ask children to put it in all at once and see what happens. Remove playdough and ask children what they can do to make sure that the boat does not sink even though the p/d goes in - hopefully someone will suggest putting in small pieces at a time! if not ask - What do you think will happen if we put only smaller pieces in? Do just that until children see what will happen if they try to put all of the p/d in!

They do see the link with the story!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)