Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sats Marker

Have been accepted as a KS2 SATs marker this year. The money will certainly come in handy for my wedding this year.... although ask me again in May/June when I'm sat with a pile of papers round me!

I have marked Y7 maths progress tests in the past and kept a log of number of hours and pay per paper. Roughly for marking about 400 pupils papers that is 1200 papers I came out with just under £9 per hour and that was with my Mum checking my adding up. Have to say in the end I decided that it was just not worth it as I only needed to do 8 days of extra hours in my school (I only work 0.5) to get the same money. Having said that it was an interesting experience as I run a nursery unit, but also very sad to think that the children had got level 3 or under in Key stage 2 sats and were put under pressure to do it all again most not getting any higher.

Good Luck

Anne

You go onto Edexcel web-site and register from there, for either Maths, Eng and Science. I think that Maths and Science go pretty quickly coz they are quicker to mark.

I'm getting £3.55 per paper, and they expect you to do 350, but you can choose to do more. You also have to attend a day's training, which you get £90 for, plus expenses.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

Got my info through for the marker training day. It lists several stationer items that I need to take with me - that only means 1 thing - more stationery shopping - YIPPEE!!! I LOVE IT!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Had the SATS marker training day last Saturday. What a stressful day that was!

I drove to London (having never driven in the centre of London before), because the earliest train that went, didn't get me there in time.

Off I set with my AA route all printed out (not lucky enough to have Sat Nav). I got about 1 mile away from the venue, with about 50 minutes to spare. Then....the road that the route told me to take was coned off, so I had to make a detour. I spent the next hour and a quarter driving around London. At first I held it all together, but after about 1/2 an hour I couldn't hold it together any more, and the water works opened.

Eventually (goodness knows how), I stumbled across the hotel, and went running in (rather late). My whole group has started and it took me a while to calm down and catch up with what they were doing. Just to add insult to injury, I could see the remnants of cakes and pastrys in the side, which everyone had been lucky enough to delve into beforehand!

Anyway, the day picked up, and left feeling quite positive about the whole experience - although the deadlines are extremely tight - so will have no life for the next month.

Left the hotel at 5pm, only to hit the traffic for the Chelsea/Man Utd Cup Final. Sat at a standstill until 7pm. Eventually got out of 2nd gear, only to find the road out of London was shut due to an accident! Spent the next 2 hours driving round and round and round, getting more and more hysterical. Eventually, at 9pm I pulled over in absolute floods of tears. Eventually got hold of Paul, who managed to work out where I was, and we cam up with a possible route out. Got home at 11:30 at night!

Hasten to say - remind me NEVER to drive to the centre of London again!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am still beavering away with my SATS marking. My 'done' pile is a tiny bit bigger than my 'to do' pile!!

All this has meant that I haven't been on the forum much at all - so I'm really sorry if I have missed out welcoming new people, or sharing in people's celebrations or frustrations. Just a couple of weeks to go and I'll be back!

• 4 months later...

Got my marker feedback today. This is to give you a guide on how you did, and is used as the basis for whether they wish to reappoint you again to be a marker. I got an 'A'. Am dead chuffed as it was my first time.

It's ok, you don't need to indulge me - I've already left the feedback lying around where hubby can read it :o