Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing In Pte-schools

We are a PLA run pre-school. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is ethical to ask a particular person if they would be interested in doing 'supply work' at the pre-school or do we have to advertise to make it official? We are a small group with four member of staff who have worked together for five years. We can usually cover for each other if need be but it would be good to have a 'back up person' in case of emergencies. I know of someone who might like to do this and it would be great to have them on board but don't want to get in trouble by doing the wrong thing!

Thank you, Rose

Hi

Not sure about the legalities about this (the pre-schoolers on the forum will be able to help) but on a personal level, I don't see a problem in advertising on your noticeboard and at the same time mentioning it to the person you have in mind. I could be wrong though, so don't hold me to it!!

You would probably still have to go thorugh the interview process (formal and practical) to ensure that the process is fair, particularly if others came forward, and to show recruitment and employment records and CRB clearance to Ofsted when they pay you a visit...

Others will be able to help more (and probably offer the ethical side of advice!!)

In the context of equal opportunities vacancies should be advertised and standard recruitment procedures followed. This doesn't mean you need to advertise through the local paper, internal adverts plus a free ad in the job centre is sufficient.

Just advice, from experience, if you head hunt someone, ie ask a particular person if they are interested in a post, be careful of any optomistic, you will get the job if you apply type message you may give, other applicants may be more suitable, you just haven't met them yet. :o

Also it can give a different perspective on employer / employee relationships.

Good luck.

Peggy

I agree with Peggy don't get caught that the person you know when they are working can be 2 different things. Maybe if you advertised internally you might find other people are willing to do the odd session who might be better.

Good luck

Steph

Guest Praesus Infelix

We recruit most of our supply staff from our volunteers, who in turn we recruit from current and previous parents. We do, though, get all of them CRB checked and I try to make sure that I have up to date references. We use our QT for odd days as well. Especially as a charity run Pre-school, we have an obligation to ensure that the money is spent wisely and running adverts for vacancies is not really cost effective or productive. Also, since we support our volunteers & staff through various training courses, we consider it within the aims of the charity to encourage parents to gain additional qulaifications in this area. We do not discriminate, which is the main purpose of equal opportunites legislation, but then we generally get one at a time!

Edited by Praesus Infelix