Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yet Another Interview.....

beth1

Oh here I go again to another interview. Well what can I say, I had a look around the nursery lovely well presented and well desgined layout. xD Sat in reception in the nursery for a while twidding thumbs for a while. Then it was interview time.....

Well started with a very strange question, 'why do parents come to this nursery?' um why should I know your the nursery owner not me, anyway answered back by saying that they must be able to see that its a good nursery, the children feel valued, happy and contented to attend nursery. So then she says back well what I mean is 'what makes a happy child?' Well why not say that in the first place! :(

So on we go with a few normal questions then the strangest question I have ever heard 'what would you do if the staff were not happy?' ummm why don't you know that eh. So I said something along the lines of finding out why they're not happy, see if we could changed the situtation into a postive. Oh and another one was 'what would you do in a crisis?' so I mention that when I worked as a B&A club leader a parent came shouting the odds at me for no reason and then discribed what happened in fact bullets, well then she say oh I don't mean that I was trying to find out what you have done in a crisis staffing wise. Well I think you need to make your questions more clearer for us possible employees to understand what you want from us! :(

So we start talking about my course requirements, well you will have to attend work after colllege, how when I am in college all day? Then she say that when I am not in college ie hols like now that I should be in work, ummm this time off is meant for completing coursework not working with children! :( I get the feeling that she has no clue what a degree is all about! :o

Well if I get offered the job I will not take it I am not jeperdising my course just for the need of money! I did not get good vibes of the her at all, no wonder they keep losing staff if she doesn't know what is happening in the world of her nursery setting! So in all I think I am not in the running for any of the jobs going.

Oh well I just have to keep looking in the new year I soppose. Sorry long rant. But what do you think about the couple of questions asked to me? I am interested in finding out what your thoughts are.

Beth

I agree she could have rephrased the questions to ensure clarity of context but also do get a sense that the 'chemistry' between yourself and the interviewer seems to have got off on the wrong foot.

Interviewers ask questions that they know the answers they want to hear from the interviewees. ie: She does know what she would do if staff were not happy, the point being what would you do?, would your answer show that you follow the same or similar work ethics, values etc as she does.

I think that with your experiences of being interviewed so many times you have excellent knowledge for using these experiences added with a bit of theory to write a whole dissertation on the subject. Now there's food for thought with your degree. :o

Peggy

Well I thought about the interview last night and realised that the interviewers had a flat tone in their voices as if to say we already have someone in mind, i cant be bothered to interview you proberly.

Maybe they already had someone in mind and just interview me for the sake of it. It did go very sour when we talked about the fdey course, maybe they dont want a degree student in the nursery to cause some problems? I dont know but this is the feeling I got from the interview.

Beth

Don't give up Beth! I'm sure the perfect job will be right around the corner. I agree with you though about some places being a bit funny with taking on degree students. I have had this a couple of times now. I joined my nursery nearly two months ago and the response to my degree course was brilliant. Now I get funny looks from my deputy and basically ignored by the team I am supposed to be leading and I really do think it is down to that. I don't know whether it is a jealousy thing, but I think my deputy is worried I'm after her job and so feels a bit threatened. I'm really not after her job. She can have it as far as I'm concerned. I've got enough to do without the added stress of a deupty job lol!

Sorry it didnt go well can I suggest that it might be worthwhile visiting OFSTED web site to check out the information on settings prior to interview as it would have given you some background for the first question.

I did vist the OFSTED website prior to the interview both inspections came out with a good report(old style I must say). :D I must also say that the first question has never come up before in any of my previous interviews. xD

I will just have to keep looking for this elusive job as at the moment it doesn't seem to be around! :o Maybe just maybe 2007 is my year to suceed in the world of work! :D

Beth

I did vist the OFSTED website prior to the interview both inspections came out with a good report(old style I must say). :D I must also say that the first question has never come up before in any of my previous interviews. xD

I will just have to keep looking for this elusive job as at the moment it doesn't seem to be around! :o Maybe just maybe 2007 is my year to suceed in the world of work! :D

Beth

I think its designed to find out if you have any background knowledge of the setting and its particular circumstances and if you can relate it to practice...........maybe