Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Is It With Prospective.......?

beth1

What is it with nursery managers who decide to adverstise for jobs and so I apply for the postion. ;) :wacko: Then wait for an interview.

Along comes interview gets asks lots of questions, I get very tongtied!!! :ph34r::o I settle down a few questions in all goes well until it's my turn to ask, then I talk about my day realse for FDey course. All of a sudden they lose interest in me and my application for a job. :ph34r::ph34r: All I want is to work for 4 days per week from Sept to May and I will work 5 days in the other months I am not studing!!! xD:ph34r:

So I explain what the FDey course and what they gain from having a member of staff willing to attend, what the nursery will then gain from me completing my course to do further training to gain the Early Years Professional Status from 2010! A grauduate employee, higher standards and an excellent reputation. All I seem to be getting is "oh I didn't know about that", and then don't here back from them unless I ask for feedback. :(:ph34r::(

Now is it me going mad or is it the fact that the information is not being cascaded down to the mangers. Who then will proberby start looking for Nursery Nurse/FDey students who are eaither on the course or willing to attend such a course in order to improve our childcare settings? :ph34r:xD:( Hence see me as an opportunty! :unsure:

OR

I am just a treat to their job? I can do approx 3/4 of a mangers job already! By the end of the FDey course I will then be able to do a managers job suffecently!!!! :rolleyes:

Now my to top it all of my funding could be under treat if I cannot find a paid job in childcare soon. :ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry I just needed a rant!

Beth

Hi Beth

When you apply do you state on your application form that you need day release? Perhaps if you did then settings would either not ask you for interview or be prepared to consider you with the knowledge that you can't work 5 days. And that way if they can't accomodate you it will save you going to interviews.

The thing is, if the setting is advertising a full time post of 5 days that is what they need. If you can only do 4 days then how are they going to cover the fifth day? It is very difficult to find somebody to work for just one day a week. Perhaps you should be looking at part time jobs which would give you the day you need for uni.

Linda

Thats the problem if it doesn't state hours/days I ring to ask what the hours are. They say it's full time but they then send out an application form. Sometimes I don't reply but on one occassion they rang up to see if I have sent back an application form as they are interested in me. Hence attending interviews when they know full well that I cannot do a full working week! :ph34r:

Sometimes they don't send out application forms, they just ask me to attend an interview, so over the telephone I tell them I cannot work 5 days per week but they still ask me to attend an interview. :rolleyes:

I aways state that I need Thursdays off to attend my college course. But they still ask me to attend an interview. It is starting to make me think that it would look good on their paperwork, that they have interview a FDey student! :unsure: I am willing to do a jobshare, but unless I know somewere states a jobshare is available or they already have a jobshare happening in the setting I tend to aviod full time posts. :o

In regards to part time jobs there's not many around at the moment, unless they are 10 hours a week but I need at least 20 hours per week to make it vaible to my course. I will have to chach up on loads of hours. xD;)

I am just getting fed up with having lots if interviews and not many want to give me the job even if it's part time. I am now running out of options on what to do. :( Maybe I should just leave the sector for a while and carry on with my placement. Then when jobs come up I will just not bother unless it is part time. Oh well it's their loss, they just end up with a nursery nurse who's not very good at their job unlike me. :(

This year I have worked on supply and a short term job. Every setting I go into say I am an excellent worker with lots of experince working with children. I know and understand my role of a nursery nurse. I dont need to be asked to do anything, as I see what needs to be done. I am a valuable member of the team. I have excellent attendance and timekeeping record. I have also been told recently that I would make a very good leader such as a room leader :( The only problem is that my obesveation and planning skills are getting very rusty! :ph34r: Well if no one wants to give me a job how are they expecting me to have excellent obs and planning skils!!!! xD

Sorry didn't ment to be soo long, ranting again! :wacko:

Beth

Dear Beth,

I am sorry that you feel you need to rant - and I can empathise with you. It seemes to be very area specific. If you walked into any nursery around here saying you wanted 4 days then they would bite your hand off and you would have a choice of where you wanted to work and you could porbably dictate your terms as well. . In fact quite a few nurseries around here work on a 4 day basis - but this doesn;t help you I know. It does mean that you have to work 10 hours a day on these days and there's another contentious issue here.

Keep plugging away at it. You say you need at least 20 hours - I am sure that you will manage to get it somehow.

Nikki