Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Real Screwdrivers

Hi, Does anyone have real tools in their setting? I spoke to another group that have real screwdrivers and hand held drills available for their 2 to 4 year olds in their "Building site" role play area and they said the children prefer them to the plastic variety.

We don't but I know of some settings that have a vice, screwdrivers, saw's - all little ones and specially bought in, it's a good idea I think but my manager wouldn't approve it.

Edited by Guest

We use real tools in our DT workshop which is accessible to children at all times. We include hammers and nails, saws, screwdrivers and screws and hand drills. (3 to 5 year olds) The children are shown how to use the tools safely and we have never had anyone with so much as a hammered finger although with plastic play tools we have had a number of incidents. We also use real bricks etc in our role play bulders yard.

post-4544-1163175734_thumb.jpg

We have a work bench too it had a saw a hand drill hammers nials screwdrivers amongst others we have it available allthe time with the pre school children and they love it they are taught the safety implications and well supervised

We too use 'real' tools. A word of warning, I did once purchase child sized hammers, wooden handle / metal head, however the head worked loose from the handle and flew off xD:( .

We now buy from B&Q, and choose the small saws, hammers pliers etc etc. We also have philips and 'ordinary' :o screwdrivers of a variety of sizes.

No child has sawn a finger off yet, they normally stop before going through the bone :( :wacko:

ooh, just another thing, we place the wood on top of rubber mats, hard to explain but they are holey, they are sold as non slip mats. Reduces slipping and also reduces noise level of hammers :D

You can buy them in many different sizes.

Peggy

the mats are also good because if tacks fall they don't spread everywhere on the floor because they get stuck in the holes in the mat. :D

Marion, Love the picture. I have some like that, you know, not looking where the hammer is going. :(xD and where else to wear goggles but to keep your hair out of your eyes. :rolleyes:

Peggy

My setting manager would'nt agree, she thought I had lost it when I mentioned it!! :oxD:(

That's not the half of it, makes you wonder why some people are in this kind of work, sorry off loading to the forum again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)