Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bit Of A Rant

i just need to have a bit of a rant

At school our head wanted all children to eat in classrooms rather than in the school hall. He did not consult staff about this just said it would be happening as from Monday. 3 of us in our team went to see him and said we weren't sure it would be practical in our reception setting as many of our activities are set up for the day and it would be too much work packing them away and setting back up again after lunch. He also said that 2 of our CSA's would act as lunch supervisors and that all children had to be outside by 12.30. The CSA's would only b paid until 12:30 so it was up to them to make sure everyone had finished by 12'30. He then said that the 2 children they support in the playground at lunch would not be allowed out until the CSAs were out. I said to him that not all of the children would be finished by 12.30. I was fuming as our opinions were not listened to at all and he insisted it would work. In the end as awful as it sounds we said we will just have to sit back and hope it fails as then he might listen to us.

Well today was the first day of eatng in classrooms and it was a huge disaster!! The end had to spend his whole luncg hour in the classroom as it was such chaos. Myself and the nursery nurse deliberatley did not enter the classroom as we wanted the head to relaise that his system would not work. The thing which has angered me most is that a quarter of the children had not finished by 12:30 and so the CSA's could not go out which meant the children they support did not get a playtime this lunch.

Anyway he has now given in and said our class can still eat in the hall as we had to clear away at 1130 to set up for lunch and by the time i had hoovered the carpet and set out again for afternoon it was 1:40!!

What has annoyed us the most is the fact that our professional judgement and opinion was not listened but i have been very good and resisited the temptation to say TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Anyway rant over!

HOPE THE RANT HELPED LOLA, AS A PARENT i HAVE NEVER BEEN HAPPY WITH THE CHILDREN EATING IN THE CLASSROOMS, (Our school have periodically tried it)

SURELY THEY NEED TO HAVE A CHANGE OF SCENERY AND EXPERIENCE A NICE LUNCH TIME??

Sorry don't know what the capital letters thing was about, must of had the lock on, :o

Well Lola, its a good job he's not sticking to his guns and insisting you try again tomorrow. Sometimes, these things happen although it would have been nice to have been listened to, perhaps next time you will be?!

I wish I worked in a school with enough dinner controllers for 1 per class!

I agree with Shirel, the children need a change of scenery at lunchtime. Also if the whole school eat together surely it fosters the 'sense of community' of the school and the littlies get to see big brothers and sisters. As to the time taken for the littlies to eat their lunch - heads have no idea! We had one little boy who loved his food but partly because of a slight physical problem he would take a long time to eat it. What happened was he was sent down on his own early to start his meal - where's the inclusion in that?

Oh Lola, you knew you were right, sometimes people just need to try these things to find out they were wrong. Think it is a bit of a leader thing and bit of a bloke thing too (sorry guys!)

Still at least it is sorted now!

(Bet you don't get an apology either!)

liz x