Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tog Ratings

Hello.

My boyfriend and I have just been out and bought our daughter a new, proper bed, as she is rapidly growing out of the cot. She loves jumping in it and I was starting to worry that one day she would actually go through it!

On top of the bed, we had to buy new bedding etc, as the cot sheets, although massive, will not stretch to the 3 foot mattress. One of the things I bought was a duvet with low tog rating. I have plenty of light cellular blankets that will cover her, as well as large sheets, but our flat is quite cold of an evening, so I bought a duvet and pillow.

I'm a bit nervous about using the pillow but on holiday in June, she used one in a big bed and was absolutely fine.

The question I'm asking really is what tog rating would you use? I bought a 9 tog duvet, thining that it wouldn't be too hot for her but that it would still keep her warm. Do you think this is too low/too high/just right?

She is 2 and a half! I don't know whether I have left it too long, as my friend children of similar age have all been sleeping in bed for ages. But then Natalie is a bit smaller than 'average' so I've been happy to leave her in her cot.

I think the time is right to do this now though, as she is getting big and also, while I'm on holiday and I don't have to worry about getting up in the morning for work, I'll be able to concetrate on getting her to bed and getting her to stay there!

No you haven't left it too late Clare.

I am sure Natalie will be fine with a pillow. I think a 9 tog duvet will be fine for chilly nights. If she is too hot she will fling it off anyway but if cold stay snuggled up under the duvet. Good luck for the first night anyway. When will that be??????

As soon as we can find the alun key (spelling??) that undoes the cot! We can;t dismantle it without it! xD I'm hoping by the end of the week. Would've been yesterday if I got my way! :o

You will probably find that your daughter sleeps better once in the bed, that was my experience anyway!

A 9 tog duvet is average, she will probably be too hot under it at the moment but just fine in the autumn/ winter and you could supplement it with the sheets and balnkets if it is really cold.

Good luck.