Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Persons Health Check

HI

I have just seen in another post that a registered person, in my instance manager needs to complete a suitable person's helath check form.

I followed the link that someone provided here and read the form ofsted ask people to fill out. in it was a section on depression/stress, self halm, eating disorders etc....

i totally understand the purpose of these forms but find them a tiny bit invasive....

about 17 months ago i went through a really rocky patch with depression ~ this depression is linked purely to childhood/early adulthood issues that i am actually in established counselling for (and making progress!) but as i was going through a low time i went to my doctors for advice, 17 months ago they signed me of sick for three weeks and advised counselling, i took up counselling and after three weeks sick was able to return to uni, still a little stressed but coping. The doctors diagnosis at this time was 'stress reaction' (doctor put it down to uni stress).... i continued counsellingtill last august and was doing okay.

In august i left counselling (had finished uni and was due to start a new job) my new job fell through and i found myself unemployed... and still working on huge personal issues in counselling... i slipped down and felt a bit depressed so again went to my doctor who this time diagnosed depression, and suggested anti-depresents that i refused... i was signed of sick for two weeks.

after two weeks i felt able to look for another job and found one... i did feel a little depressed but not overwhelmingly so and settled into my job. I was there nearly three months and left there to go to my current employer initially in the role of senior... a job i managed well and coped with and was only sick for four hours in a total of four months. I am now employed as manager and coping okay with it...

am still in counselling, but that is totally seperate to work and is focused on previous issues and not my life today....

in my life today i don't feel depressed at all and things are good....

anyway now you have had the background (sorry to bore you!, relevant background tho) ... do you think that OFSTED will approve me as a suitable person in light of the depression being written on my medical records (even tho i did not accept treatment)... or am i buggered, becasue once they see my records they will see depression was an issue for me....

my current employers don't know about it as they never asked, nor got me to fill out a medical form... could they choose to sack me on the basis of my previous depression....

self halm, or eating disorders have never been an issue for me, but depression has :o

your thoughts appreciated

Dawn

Please don't worry Dawn,

You would be surprised at how many people in the profession do suffer depression, for various reasons. I personally was on anti-depressants for 6 years ( been off them for 10 yrs, since meeting and marrying my hubby).

This was on my medical record when I became registered person and did not affect my registration.

My current manager has just completed a health check and DC2 form ( that is why I had them available to post on the forum). She has been on anti-depressants for 15 yrs, it is useful to be aware of her health issues as an employer, but in no circumstances could, or would I discriminate against her because of this illness, which like you say, is managed. Should illness, of any kind affect her ability to do her job then normal employment law regarding sickness would be followed.

Within the Health check form there is a section for your GP to fill in, basically asking if the GP thinks you are 'fit' to do the job. This, I would think will be completed as Yes, so Ofsted, I pressume will have to take this professional judgement when they consider whether you are a 'suitable person' to do your job.

If / when you have a suitable person interview they may ask how you manage your depression, or whether you feel it afffects your ability, but I doubt that they will even mention it. If they do then it is up to you what you say, but personally I would just say, it is personal and as my doctor states, is being managed and therefore doesn't affect my ability to do my job.

Your post has most probably helped others who have had the same question but may have been reluctant to ask, so thank you for sharing such personal concerns. I really do not think you have anything to worry about.

Peggy