Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Evidence For Profile!

I am still in my training but the teacher I hvae been with hasnt collected any evidence across the year of the childrens learning in relation to the profile. She has marked it off (in my opinion not giving the children the credit they deserve-but thats another issue!!) but not linked that with any specific evidence.

Since I sort of realised what we should be doing I have set up an assessment folder and started doing observations and assessments of the teacher directed activities but I only began this is May and I have only just got to the stage where I have split the evidence into TD and CI but not gone through and highlighted to inidcate what it is documnenting-I have just been putting it all in here. Now I have been told that I might have to go to the moderation meeting - 3 children on MD and PD.

Basically what I am asking is how do you arrange your folders and your evidence??

I have so far got each child in a separate section (only 8 pupils - in SEN school) and within that I have their printed profile, a list of all the profile points with space next to them that I have highligted and in some written the date that the evidnece is, and then i have a CI section where I put all the observations and post its of catching them saying/doing something brillinat! and hten finally I have a TD bit. BUT how do you all order all of this to mke it easy to see what evidence is for what??

Also do you have more than one piece of evidence for each point!

I know I am still learning but just dont want to look silly on monday if I end up going!

thanks

sorry for the huge post-just a tad worried!

jo

Jo, dont be worried.

Sounds like you are doing a grand job. At worst you (your setting/school rather than you personally) will be identified as needing more help. At least that is what would have happened in the authority in which I trained as a moderator if evidence was not sound enough.

Im no longer involved as a supply teacher but sounds like you have set up the sort of thing I have seen on my travels!

If you go, take what you have and the class teachers contribution and go and talk about what you about the children. Be honest and I ma sure everything will work out. Should you be identified as needing extra help make sure you get it!

Good luck.

Sounds like you' re doing fine.

We use lots of photographs which we reduce and put into the middle of an A4 sheet. Around the outside are the 6 areas and we then put a brief description of how the photographic observation links into that area of learning. At the bottom of the sheet we have a box that states next steps/ implications for planning. Sorry rubbish at attaching attachments and hope this makes sense. This means that we have a snapshot of a particular activity that achild was involved in and the observed links to the areas.

We also use the same format with the childs photograph in the middle. Around the picture are boxes with the same 6 areas of learning in boxes. at the bottom of the sheet we then have the child's targets in PSED, CLL, MD and the facilitator is asked to observe preodminately in thses areas, but will also note in the other three areas.

Should add we work as a FS unit and have the luxury of a one person faclitatating ( well by mid Spring term as they also have to deal with toiltting, getting snack, taking reception into the assemblies - build up over the year etc in the first term!!)

We have found that other setting visiting us like the idea of the photographic observation with the child in the middle with their targets for the term.

Maybe this will be useful to you in the future.

Pro forma was just drawn up in word using the tables tool.

Lisa

i think i get what you mean. so do you just use use for evidence putting them in a folder under a section for each child? how do you organise this-have all the PSED evidnece first then CLL etc/???

thanks

jo

We dont do nearly as much as you appear to be doing. To start with we do not keep evidence for every child for every profile point! 117 pieces of evidence per child is just not realistic or managable.

What I was adviced when the FSPs were first introduced was to start a file and add pieces of evidence for each statement(bit not for each child) to prove that my judgements are sound. Moderators are looking at your judgements not at each child.

here is a previous thread

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...indpost&p=36622

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking digital photos and cataloguing (electronically) under the AOLs & specific scale points covered/evidenced by each photo are incorporated into the file names. I find this a really useful start, and I don't print out as many photos. I have them on my pen drive which hangs by my classroom IWB - means AfL WITH the children can be big & visual when necessary! Might even have them up as a slide show at our Parents' Evening!!

Can I ask a silly question?

I assume that when collating (paper) FSP evidence it is per cohort, so you would be setting up new files for September intakes now? Also what do you do with past cohorts... pass up the files to new teacher? Store as FS evidence, e.g. in case Ofsted need to see it?

This might sound like a silly question!

But how does the 'profile' (the pink booklet or e-profile) fit into this? I'm going to teach Reception.

My understanding is that you compile/ complete one for each child. You gather evidence in a variety of forms to support these judgements (as discussed above). This record is passed onto Year 1 and shared with child & parents as a form of end of year report.

Is this wrong?

Is there another way of doing this or is it a statatory/ legal requirement?

The reasons I ask is I am confused to how the proposed school I begin teaching in (sept) system seems wrong and not up to date with times.

They give reports to the secretary to complete. They have pages for each area of learning with the steps achieved typed out. The evidence collected is in the form of 'tick lists' for assessment of more formal learning taking place (but no 'evidence' or examples of childrens individual work). The children do work in exercise books. eg. writing. Numeracy also appears to have been quite neglected.

The school is quite open to change and I feel they need bringing up to date. However, no-one seems aware of the e-profile and although I certainly don't want to make more work for myself, I can't seem to understand the idea of the secretary writing up the reports. That just seems a waste of her time and reflections etc. of children would be better of gained by myself doing this (especially as she isn't based in the class!)

HELP!!!!

Just gathering ideas and resources to discuss further the way forward in my setting.

Skylight

Hi skylight

Dont worry too much at this point, make sure you look out for your LEAs profile training. YOu may even have some dedicated NQT training.

The profile as you say is statutory and although the results should be shared with parents it is not obligatory to use the profile as a report. The pink booklets are optional and as long as the scores are reported that is ok. the workload agreement has meant that the transfer of data from one source to another does not have to be completed by a teacher and I suspect that the secretary may be transfering the teachers scores to the LEA. I would be surprised if she is writing reports as such?

Not all LEAs have authorised the use of the eprofile, I have no experience of it as mine did not! You may be able to access it and use it and I believe for those that do the scores are transferred to the LEA more easily. Hope someone else will be able to tell you.

It would unusual if your school were not keeping some evidence somewhere as they should be involved in a moderation process. LEAs have to moderate the schools to ensure that judgements within their schools and across LEAs themselves are uniform. Although in practise this seems to vary alot from what members here experience!

You could read the profile handbook and look at the DVD, go to QCA to obtain your own and the Vicky Hutchins books are easy to read for iideas on how to obtain evidence etc.

Good luck.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for imput. Have already got the V. Hutchins books and been to a fantastic workshop that she delivered! I also (bashfully admit) to having all relevant documents. The e-profile can be obtained/ down loaded from the internet & the transfer of data made very easily (for example the 'registra' , using for assement of children and own practise).

I don't know why, but although I know and understand all this in 'acedemic' form... placed into practise is a different matter! The alarm bells are in place as far as present situ. is concerned. I like the idea of not worrying about it too much, however it doesn't help with putting things into place or introducing what might be new systenms for the better at the school I am going to be working at. I would rather do that now/ prepare whilst I have time, than leave it until later. If you know what I mean!

Luckily there is a cluster meeting next week (the early years team have been busy the last 2 weeks and have not managed to return my phone calls). Hopefully I will get to the bottom of it then - or at least make a start on understanding how this LEA is working.

All the best

Skylight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)