Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Manager Leaving

HI

my manager (who has worked for the company for 17 years) is leaving at the end of June.... i am absolutly gutted, so sad.... I really really like my manager she is a lovely person, and she very much holds the nursery's best interest at heart.

I have only been working with her a little under three months, but i feel we connected well and i will really miss her.

this now leaves us with a deputy who constantly instigates all the bitching in the nursery (and im really hoping she will not apply for the managers job, because she would make our life hell!!!... she is very set in her ways, and does not like change of forward thinking!)

so i wonder who will get the managers job, i hope there as commited as the manager we currently have.....

I am half tempted to apply for it myself, but im only 24, 25 in July... but i am qualified to degree level (have NNEB, and BA(hons) childhood studies, which i gained this time last year) and have worked as a supervisor /senior nursery officer in other settings for a total of 3 and a half years..... but i just don't think i would be viewed as having the right experience.

My current manager asked me the other day if i would like to manage a nursery, and she said in her opinion she felt i could do it if it was what i wanted.... so not sure what to do....

don't know if id like to apply for it and then not get it, as i know deep down it would make me feel bitter.... or just to leave it and see who gets the job and hope that they are as good as the last manager....

hmmmm, thinking....... :D

Dawn

it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done. Apply for the job to get the experianceof the interview if nothing else. Let us know what you decide :D

Just GO FOR IT!!!!! If you truely believe in what you do, then do it, it would be far better for the nursery to promote someone from the setting rather than having someone come in - especially if there is 'bitching' - that would be awful for someone new!

25 is good - young, fresh, keen, fit..................................etc. You know you want it really - just do it!!!!! after 3 1/2 years, you have gained alot of experience, so think on it.

Best of luck.

Your current manager has shown you she values your ability, you have recently been left in charge, so why not go for it.

What are the quality's you value in your manager? They are obviously the quality's the organisation also values as she has been there for 17 years. Do you feel you have any of those quality's, do you recognise any that you could develop? If yes to both then go for it.

Let us know what you decide.

Peggy

Hi Dawn

It sounds as though your current manager was sounding you out as some one she could pass on as a candidate for promotion. Go through the right channels, have the ideas of some changes but not to many, and apply for the job. write down all the things that you are good at be positive praise some of the things that are already in place and go for it. You have nothing to loose. i'm sure your current manager knows about the bitching and is probably very aware of who does it, hence the reason she has asked you what your planns are!!!!! good luck and don't be afraid. You never get any where in this life on maybe's and what if's :D:D

I agree with the others Dawn, go on give it a go, you sound passionate and enthusiastic and full of ideas you are young but that's not a bad thing, I know plenty of older practitioners who lack your enthusiasm, that is not intended as an ageist remark, old or young is irrelevant it's your commitment to the job, good luck, let us all know what you decide. :):)

Thanks all.

well i tested the water today, so to speak... and asked the manger if she thought our deputy would apply for the managers job, she said that she did not think this the case as the deputy has shown no interest in the position.

she then looked at me and said you could always apply for it.... :D so i just said ' i may just do that!', the manager didn't comment then... only syaing that the owner would be looking for the right candidate and she would have in mind the qualities she is looking for....

i also tested the water with my other collegues and the general concensious is they would all love it if i went for the job and got it..... so i guess as soon as its advertised internally i will apply.... nothing ventured nothing gained hey!....

will let you all know when i have applied for it.

Dawn

I definitely think you should apply. You'll never know unless you try. You seem really passionate about it and you have an excellent role model to follow on from, and who has put good working practices into place.

Good Luck - let us all know,

Shelley