Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The importance of reflection in relation to professional development.

I am currently studying my CACHE level 3 diploma for the early years workforce and as part of my final unit, I must join in on an online forum to discuss the importance of reflection in relation to professional development. I am also required to undertake my own research and use the forum to share theoretical perpectives on reflection.

Reflective practice is where an individual is always re-thinking and going over their actions in order to improve practice.  It is a vital part of one's professional development in any field.  There are several theorist's each with their own thoughts on reflective practice.

Kolb's Learning Cycle consists of four stages:
Concrete experience - The indivdual has a primary experience that allows for observation.  They will then have a new experience that will create an opportunity to learn.
Reflective Observation - The individual is able to reflect on the experience, the idea is that the individual is able to find the meaning behind the experience.
Abstract Conceptualisation - The individual can now create their own theories that are able to explain the experience and create concepts that they can follow in the future.
Active Experimentation - The individual is able to apply what they learned the in the experience to a new situation and test concepts to improve understanding and competence.

Gibbs' Learning Cycle consists of six stages and is similar to Kolb's:
Description - In order to identify what happened, the individual will describe the experience.
Feelings - The individual will then evaluate how they felt during the experience in order to understand what emotions they experienced and how they impacted the individual.
Evaluation - The individual will then assess what was good or bad about the experience and if anything could have been done differently.
Analysis - The experience is analysed for any patterns and underlying causes.
Conclusion - A conclusion is reached about the experience.  The individual will decide what to do with the learning in the future.
Action Plan - The final stage is where the individual will decide what actions to take in the future, based on what they have learned.

I personally feel that being able to reflect on one's experiences is a key part of being an early years educator.  Without the ability to reflect, we would not be able to draw positives and negatives from the experience, what worked and what didn't work, and most importantly we would not be able to make adjustments and improvements.  Not every child learns in the same way, what works for one, may not work for the other.  Without reflection it would be impossible to adjust an activity for a group of children who have different learning styles so that they can all reach the same learning outcome.

If anyone has any other thoughts or good theories on reflection, please post them here, it would really assist me in my learning.

Hello Moore1 and welcome! 

I thought I'd join you up with another discussion that's going on with a couple of other people who are studying their CACHE level 3 diploma and are focusing on reflective practice. You can find and join in with that discussion here: https://eyfs.info/forums/topic/54591-kolbs-and-gibbs-reflective-practices/#comment-477020

And I've just found another discussion about it here: https://eyfs.info/forums/topic/54636-reflective-practice/#comment-476859

We had an event about reflective practice a while back about reflecting on CPD in the early years: https://tapestry.info/tec/reflecting-on-cpd-in-the-early-years.html

We also have this article about a particular reflective approach used by a student studying a Masters in Early Years Education: https://eyfs.info/articles.html/general/the-inspiring-pedagogy-and-practice-of-ignorance-reflections-on-the-use-of-a-particular-scrapbook-approach-in-the-early-years-nursery-to-facilitate-curiosity-and-engagement-r318/

And we have a series of articles by Dr Jen Colwell about reflective practice - the first examining what we mean by 'reflective practice', the second looking at research methods, and the third focusing on the process of reflective practice:

https://eyfs.info/articles.html/teaching-and-learning/reflective-practice-what-is-reflection-why-should-it-inform-our-practice-and-what-does-it-involve-r256/

https://eyfs.info/articles.html/teaching-and-learning/reflective-practice-research-methods-r263/

https://eyfs.info/articles.html/teaching-and-learning/the-process-of-reflective-practice-r262/

I hope you find these links useful 😊

• Like 1

Hello,

I would like to join this conversation outlining my research on 'Theoretical Perspectives on Reflection and how they emphasise the importance of reflection in relation to professional development'. In addition to the theories that Moore1 has posted, I have mentioned another theory: Donald Schön’s Reflective Practitioner Model in my post below. 

I am in the process of completing the assignments in the last unit of my CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) and I have been asked to share my research on the above topic in an online forum with my peers. I believe this would be an ideal platform to do this and appreciate your feedback and comments on this. Thank you in advance.

Theoretical Perspectives on Reflection in Professional Development

Reflection is a critical component of professional development, particularly in the early years sector. Theoretical perspectives on reflection provide frameworks for understanding how reflective practice can enhance learning and lead to continuous improvement. Following theories emphasize the importance of reflection in professional development. 

Donald Schön’s Reflective Practitioner Model:

Donald Schön’s theory of the reflective practitioner is foundational in understanding reflective practice. Schön (1983) identified two key types of reflection: reflection-in-action and reflection-on-action. Reflection-in-action occurs during the practice itself, as practitioners think critically and adapt their strategies while they are engaging with their work. Reflection-on-action happens after the practice, as practitioners evaluate their actions and decisions retrospectively.

Schön's concept highlights the significance of adaptability and responsiveness in the context of professional development. This entails early childhood educators being able to modify their methods of instruction and child care in the moment in response to the demands and reactions of the children. Conversely, reflection-on-action enables a more in-depth examination, enabling practitioners to extract lessons from their past experiences and incorporate them into their future work. As practitioners continuously hone their techniques and skills, this cycle of reflection promotes continual professional development.

Kolb’s Experiential Learning Theory:

David Kolb’s Experiential Learning Theory (1984) also highlights the significance of reflection in professional development. Kolb’s model involves a four-stage learning cycle: Concrete Experience, Reflective Observation, Abstract Conceptualization, and Active Experimentation. According to this theory, learning is a cyclical process that begins with a direct experience, followed by reflection on that experience. This reflection leads to the formation of abstract concepts, which are then tested through active experimentation in future situations.

Kolb's concept emphasises how introspective observation is essential to turning events into worthwhile educational opportunities. Reflective observation is a useful tool for early childhood educators to pinpoint what went well and what needs improvement in a given scenario. New methods are then developed based on this contemplation and tested in real-world scenarios. This cycle of reflection leads to professional development that is useful and successful by improving comprehension and encouraging the application of information in practical settings.

Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle:

Graham Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle (1988) offers a more structured approach to reflection. Gibbs’ model consists of six stages: Description, Feelings, Evaluation, Analysis, Conclusion, and Action Plan. This model guides practitioners through a comprehensive process of reflection, starting from describing the experience and the emotions involved, evaluating the positive and negative aspects, analyzing what contributed to the outcomes, drawing conclusions, and finally, developing an action plan for future improvement.

Gibbs' technique is especially helpful for practitioners in professional development who like a methodical approach to reflection. It promotes methodical experience analysis, making sure that all factors—including emotional reactions, which are sometimes disregarded in more basic reflection models—are taken into account. The action plan stage is critical because it establishes a clear connection between professional development and reflection, enabling practitioners to make targeted adjustments and put improved practices into practice.

Together, these theoretical stances highlight the fact that reflection is a deliberate, disciplined process that aims to advance one's professional development rather than merely being a means of looking back on past events. Early childhood educators can modify their approaches, critically assess their behaviours, and continuously improve their work with the use of reflection. Reflective techniques help practitioners stay up to date with industry best practices, expand their knowledge of child development, and adapt to a variety of demands.

A culture of lifelong learning is also fostered via reflective practice, and this is crucial in the ever-evolving profession of early childhood education. Since reflection is incorporated into professional development, learning is constant and responsive to real-world problems, which makes it an essential tool for improving children's educational outcomes as well as personal development.

References - 

https://libguides.cam.ac.uk/reflectivepracticetoolkit/models

https://workplacehero.co.uk/blog/the-schön-reflection-model

Edited by Chodma

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also coming to the end of my Cache Level 3 Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) course and as part of my final unit I was to research theoretical perspectives in relation to reflection and share my findings on an online forum. If anyone has any further input regarding reflecting on our own practice, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

From my research I have found out that there are 2 significant theories in understanding the reflective process.  These are Kolb’s Learning Cycle and Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle.

The four stages of Kolb's learning cycle these stages of learning reflect how learners process and assimilate information:

Stage 1: Concrete Experience (CE) assimilating information. - In David Kolb's Experiential Learning Cycle, the first stage is Concrete Experience (CE), which is when learners assimilate information. This stage is characterized by personal involvement and relying on feelings more than a systematic approach. 

Here are some other characteristics of the Concrete Experience stage: 

• Open-mindedness: Learners are open-minded and adaptable to change. 
  • Reinterpretation: Learners may reinterpret existing experiences in light of new concepts. 
  • Immediate experiences: Learners may encounter new experiences or situations.

Stage 2: Reflective Observation (RO) processing information. -  In this stage, learners reflect on an experience from different perspectives, analyze it, and consider different interpretations. 

Here are some characteristics of the Reflective Observation stage: 

• Introspection and evaluation: Learners take a step back from the experience and reflect on it. 
  • Different perspectives: Learners analyze the experience from different perspectives, noting their reactions and those of others. 
  • Patience and objectivity: Learners rely on patience, objectivity, and careful judgment. 
  • Identifying strengths and weaknesses: Learners identify the things that worked well, the challenges they faced, and the areas of performance that could potentially be improved.

Stage 3: Abstract Conceptualization (AC) assimilating information. - In David Kolb's Experiential Learning Cycle, the third stage of learning is Abstract Conceptualization (AC), which is a stage of thinking and processing information. In this stage, learners: 

• Reflect: Consider their experiences and perceptions 
  • Form new ideas: Use theories, logic, and ideas to understand problems and situations 
  • Apply critical thinking: Use problem-solving skills to develop new ideas 
  • Consider real-world applications: Think about how to apply their new knowledge in the real world 
  • Make connections: Find relevance in their lives to retain information 

AC is important because it helps learners form theories and better understand their experiences. This new understanding is then tested in the next stage of the cycle, Active Experimentation (AE).  According to Kolb, learners must complete all four stages of the cycle to develop new knowledge. No single stage is effective on its own.

Stage 4: Active Experimentation (AE) - Active Experimentation (AE) is the fourth stage of David Kolb's four-stage learning cycle, which describes how people learn through a spiral of experience. In this stage, learners apply new insights to the real world through experimentation and practical approaches. 

Here are some characteristics of the Active Experimentation stage: 

• Learning by doing: Learners apply new insights to the real world. 
  • Experimentation: Learners experiment with changing situations and observe what happens. 
  • Practical approach: Learners are concerned with what works. 
  • Starting the cycle again: Learners can incorporate further adaptations as needed, starting the cycle again.

Gibbs also has a cycle What is the difference between Gibbs reflective cycle and Kolb?

Reflective Cycle Versus Kolb
In what Kolb calls the Experience and Process stages, Gibbs includes discussion and peer- and self-assessment. And in the Generalization and Application stages, Gibbs suggests action plans. Both cycles essentially cover the same steps — experience, reflection, and planning here are his six steps:

• Description: What happened?
  • Feelings: What were you thinking and feeling?
  • Evaluation: What was good and bad about the experience?
  • Analysis: What sense can you make of the situation?
  • Conclusion: What else could you have done?
  • Action plan: If it arose again, what would you do? 

The Gibbs Reflective Cycle is a model that helps people reflect on their experiences in a structured way. It was developed by Graham Gibbs in 1988 at Oxford Polytechnic, now Oxford Brookes University. The model is often used in healthcare, education, and management. 

The stages of the cycle help to slow down thought processes and prevent people from jumping to conclusions too quickly.

I really like Kolb’s learning cycle and I think that is the one I would use in my reflection sheets that I will be filling out after completing tasks in my setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thank you for your great input, I put together some ideas and theories behind them as well. Thank you for taking the time to consider my input on this topic of professional development and the theorists involved who inform this.

Reflective practice is key to continued improvement. When we work with children, every day is different and often things do not go according to plan. Once ‘the action’ of the day has passed it is invaluable to take a few minutes to quietly consider the day, your actions and the reactions which occurred. All of these ripples then feed back into your work. Reflection is a process. When we observe children and interact with them, we are provided with evidence. This in turn needs to be considered and carefully reflected upon and lead to a summative assessment. This can in turn provide you with a starting point to think about your own practice and consider next steps.

Being an Early Years Practitioner means constantly learning and developing within the field, it is important to stay in touch with recent studies and new findings which can support your everyday practice. This practice needs to be consistently and continuously reviewed within the context of environment, action, planning, implementation and should eagerly anticipate improvement. Working on reflective practice is best done in partnership with other people and professionals in your setting and around you (local support networks/councils/forums). In this rapidly changing professional environments, reflective practice generates and encourages lifelong learning. Continuously updating skills, knowledge, and reflection helps to stay engaged in learning by actively making sense of experiences. This is the essence of CPD.

Reflection enables professionals to assess their actions, successes, and failures, leading to constant improvement in practice. Through evaluating what worked well and what didn’t, one can refine approaches and practices to make them more effective. This is always with the child at the centre of the process.

As a professional one can become more adaptable by carefully and critically thinking through experiences and developing strategies, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Early Years is prone to changing circumstances and child led practice where adaptability is a key skill.

Self-awareness and emotional intelligence are assisted through reflecting on experiences. This helps assists in understanding our own emotions, biases, and motivations. This self-awareness contributes to building positive trust based interpersonal relationships and feeds into emotional perceptiveness.

Professional development is assisted greatly by thinking about ones’ practice as a practitioner can discover significant changes in perspective when thought about in a considered way. This is called transformative learning which means that a person can move beyond surface-level learning to challenge core beliefs and assumptions.

Professionals must continuously update their skills and knowledge, and reflection helps them stay engaged in learning by actively making sense of their experiences. Professional discussions and engaging in online forums with peers results in providing a space for sharing reflections on professional practice, for dialogue and peer feedback. These are vital components to feeling part of a fantastic industry and makes it possible to share ideas and reflect on new policies or consider new possibilities. Professionals from Early Years and other various fields surrounding and supporting young children can share insights into their own reflective practices. In this way there is an opportunity to discuss challenges in a supportive way, offer solutions. This collective reflection can stimulate new ideas and help individuals to adopt best practice.

In thinking about my own practice, I find a couple theorists are my ‘go to’ options for how I put reflection into practice. I really enjoy Kolb’s Reflective Cycle (1984), which is also known as the experimental learning theory and is based on learning through direct experience. I definitely believe in learning ‘hands on’ as I feel that this is a direct way to experience learning and to develop practice. Kolb’s theory is split into four stages

Another theory I really admire is Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle (1988) when Gibbs proposed a six-stage model of reflection.

1. Description of the event
  2. Feelings during the event
  3. Evaluation of what worked and didn’t
  4. Analysis of why things happened as they did
  5. Conclusion on what could have been done differently
  6. Action plan for similar situations in the future

The process of reflection encourages deeper analysis and allows space for learning from experiences by providing simple and effective recipe to inform reflection.

The 4 C’s of reflective practice are really useful too and are as follows: Collaboration, Communication, Critical thinking and Creativity. These were discussed by Eyler, Giles, and Schmiede in 1996. There is so much to be said for working in collaboration with other practitioners and professionals. It allows for people to bring their passions, skills and experiences together. In the same way it is beneficial to use collaboration in reflection. This is a way to bounce ideas off one another and really consider ideas from different perspectives. Being open and communicating effectively and professionally means that there can be real conversations with positive feedback and support for challenges. Critical thinking is evaluating your own ideas, beliefs, concepts and the environment, situation and experience. This critical evaluation allows for thinking about solutions for future possible moments and to best prepare for positive outcomes. Creativity is the heart of Early Years, finding ways to learn and explore while challenging creativity is what it is all about. This creativity should be constantly be applied and challenged in practitioners too to enable a consistently wonderous learning journey.

Through these practices I hope to consistently improve on my practice and continue to engage in a positive reflective process to inform my decisions and through experience and opportunity continue to learn and engage in the field.

Simply Psychology (2 February 2024) Kolb’s Learning Styles And Experiential Learning Cycle by Saul Mcleod, PhD. Available at: https://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html The University of Edinburgh. Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle. Available at: https://www.ed.ac.uk/reflection/refl...flective-cycle

Reflective practices in the 21st century. Movement from 3Rs to 4Cs in the teaching profession ByGrace Chibiko OfformaCarol Adaku Obiefuna. Available at: https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781315397702-1/reflective-practices-21st-century-grace-chibiko-offorma-carol-adaku-obiefuna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is irsa iqbal and I work in an early years setting in London. I am nearing the end of my CACHE level 3 Early Years Educator course and have been asked by my tutor to engage in discussions with my peers about the main theoretical perspectives on professional development. Below is description of my current knowledge involving the reflective practices of Kolb and Gibbs. I wondered if there were any other view points or theories on reflective practice that are useful for early years practitioners? Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance :)  

Reflection is a valuable tool for early years practitioners, as it enables them to critically assess their interactions with young children, identify areas for improvement, and develop strategies that enhance their teaching practices. By exploring various theoretical perspectives on reflection, practitioners can better understand how to integrate reflective practices into their professional development. Discussing these theories in an online forum with peers allows for a collaborative exchange of ideas, particularly when linked to personal experiences in early years settings. This approach not only illustrates how theories work in practice but also enhances the practical application of reflection for continuous growth.

Theoretical Perspectives on Reflection:

In early years education, theories such as Donald Schön’s Reflective Practitioner model, Kolb’s Experiential Learning Theory, and Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle provide valuable frameworks for understanding how reflection can support professional development.

Schön’s Reflective Practitioner Model:

Donald Schön introduced two modes of reflection: reflection-in-action, which occurs in real-time, and reflection-on-action, which happens after an event. Reflection-in-action allows professionals to adapt their approach during an activity, enhancing immediate decision-making. For example, a healthcare worker might need to adjust a treatment plan on the spot based on a patient’s response. Reflection-on-action enables a deeper evaluation post-event, where lessons are extracted for future application. Reflection-in-action occurs during a task, allowing early years practitioners to adapt their approaches based on immediate feedback from children. For example, a practitioner might notice a child struggling with an activity and decide, in the moment, to modify the task to better suit the child’s abilities. Reflection-on-action takes place after the event, where practitioners can analyse their responses and identify lessons for future interactions. This model is particularly useful in early years settings where flexibility and responsiveness are key.

Kolb’s Experiential Learning Theory:

Kolb’s model describes reflection as part of a four-stage learning cycle: concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation. In an early years context, practitioners might first engage in an activity with the children (concrete experience), then reflect on how well it supported the children’s learning (reflective observation). After this, they can conceptualize new approaches based on their reflections and experiment with these new methods in future sessions. This cyclical process is essential for early years practitioners, who often need to adapt their strategies to the diverse learning needs of young children.

Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle:

Gibbs’ model provides a structured framework for reflection, including description, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusion, and action plan. This approach is beneficial for early years practitioners as it helps them to thoroughly analyse their experiences and identify specific actions for improvement. For instance, a practitioner reflecting on a challenging day might use Gibbs’ cycle to describe what happened, explore their emotional responses, evaluate what went well, analyse what could be improved, conclude with insights, and plan actionable steps for future practice.

To explore these theories, I would join an online forum with peers and share a summary of the above frameworks. By inviting others to discuss how they incorporate reflection into their practice, I can encourage a dynamic exchange of ideas and insights. This interaction fosters a collaborative learning environment where we can explore diverse applications of reflection in professional contexts.

Hi, my name is Joe Carreyett and I am near completion of the level 3 Early Years Educator qualification with Learndirect. I am a qualified musician and am wanting to combine my love of music with early years education. I am hoping to train as a Music Therapist in the future. As part of my final module I have been signposted to this forum to discuss theoretical prospectives in relation to reflective practice. I have learned that reflective practice is the process of re-evaluating oneself in order to progress and achieve personal goals. 

Theorist John Dewy has suggested that it is a ‘ complex, rigorous, intellectual, and emotional enterprise that takes time to do well’. Whilst Gibbs has advised that by using a model which goes through the following stages: ‘description, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusions and action plan’, ensures that the participant slows down their thoughts in order to critically evaluate themselves and make important decisions regarding how they are going to progress effectively. 

I feel at the beginning of my studies I was anxious to get through my modules and I maybe was not critical enough in my evaluation of areas where I needed to improve, and also I was not confident in my successes. By gaining more experience and underpinning knowledge I have been able to see the value in taking time to reflect on my experiences both personal and professional that have impacted on my work. This has given me the necessary building blocks to ensure that I am still on the right career pathway and/or show me other avenues I could explore. 

I agree with Dewy that it is a complex process, and lots of factors both externally and within your job role can affect your drive and commitment both to yourself and to others. It is important, I feel, that time is given within the workplace for self-evaluation. Within my setting staff supervision and appraisals are processes which provide some opportunities for reflection in a more formalised way. However I think that informal reflection is also beneficial. For example, I suggested that maybe all members of the team had a personal diary which they could complete with comments, ideas, how they are feeling about something which is being practiced within the setting or external influences which may be affecting them at the time. These diaries would be confidential to the participant, and 30 minutes would be given every week during work time for them to be completed. Then if they chose they could discuss points included in their personal diary during staff meetings, or personally with management if appropriate. By writing things down, even if the participant decides not to share this information with others it enables them to evaluate themselves and their own personal practice, which in itself will provide analysis and conclusions which will support their practice moving forward. This I feel is beneficial to the setting as a whole, and therefore the time given for this process is justified. 

Do any of your settings follow a similar process?  

Thank you for your contributions. Joe