Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dental Hygiene

Hi All

Im a PGCE student on my final teaching practice. part of a task set for me by school is to provide some lessons to foundation and KS! on dental hygiene. - part of every child matters being healthy

does any one know where i can look for free/inexpensive resources to help me do this?

be greatfull for any help and advice

Julie

Yes thank you for that Peggy ............... you never cease to amaze with your wealth of knowledge!!!!!!!!! :o

Have a good day :)

We have just funded 24 schools to set up breakfast clubs and the healthy living centres and local health authority provided promotional leaflets and free toothbrushes and mini tubes of toothpaste - it's worth a phone call to see what your local authority can offer!

We have the "Dentist lady" visit our preschool once a year. She has examples of healthy, good for your teeth foods and some not so healthy for the children to look at and sort. She also does a puppet show with a story about a king, queen and prince and an evil witch who gives the prince lots of sweets. The prince inevitably gets tooth ache and goes to the dentist, she enacts the visit to the dentist with small puppets.

All is well when he learns how to clean his teeth. the dentist has a large crocodile and a large toothbrush and gets all the children to copy him cleaning his teath. She uses a timer to show how long one minute is, the length of time we should spent cleaning our teeth. It's about the only time ALL THE CHILDREN sit still for one minute totally engrossed on watching the crocodile and "finger brushing" their teeth simultaneously :o

You could make the props for a story with the children prior to the activity.

Peggy

wow thanks all

i will be putting all of these ideas to good use in the very near future. thank you all soooooooo much for the help.

now on the hunt for a large crocodile with a good set of teeth. Any ideas?

How long have you got to prepare, There's always papier mache, or make a hand puppet crocodile :D:D

There is a childs toy, in all good toy shops :o , of a crocodile, it's a timed toy where the child has to pull a tooth out before the jaw closes. They are quite expensive though, for just one use....

or contact your local health service and see if there is one you can loan for the day.

Peggy

There was a similar topic here earlier - not that clever to find it - but the one thing I remember was making teeth out of egg cartons, painting them white and showing children how to clean their teeth which I thought was really quite nice.

Nikki

thanks Nichola

what a good idea. will definitly get that done in nursery and reception. have three weeks to prepar. its part of a whole school initiative healty week.

Really want to make a good impression.

thanks again to all julie x x

We signed up to the 'Stop The rot' site

We also contacted our local community Dental lady! She is coming in to have a chat with the children.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)