Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Play Schemes

Sorry wasn't sure where to put this, hope it's ok here.

Hi guys I wonder if any one could give me some advice/ point me in the right direction for info.

I've got an interview in 2 weeks time for a supervisor role for a holiday scheme.

This is a summary of the job:

The post holder is responsible for the planning and delivering opportunities for play and experiences, which should reflect the nature of the multi-cultural society in which we live. Will organise and supervise the Play workers on a day-to-day basis. The post holder is also responsible to ensuring a safe and stimulating environment in accordance with Trust Policies and Procedures and OFSTED Standards.

I've been told the interview will last for about an hour, which seems like a really long time and I havn't got a clue what they'll ask me :o

I'm currently a student on an early years degree, but before that I was the deputy manager of a nursery. I did all the planning etc. so i've got experience of all that but I dont know what the regs are for a holiday club.

We ran a holiday club at our nursery which was basicly a more laid back version of what we did during term time, but I didn't have to do any formal planning. Obviously I planned activities to do, usually lots of fun creative stuff but I didn't use planning sheets or evaluate it etc.

The job description mentions Ofsted, does anyone know what regulations a holiday scheme had to follow?

I feel I meet the personal specification pretty well with the exception of not having experience of older children only up to 8 and the club takes kids up to 14, but I think I can blag that part lol.

Does anyone work in a holiday scheme like this that could give me advice on the sorts of things they do/ what they might ask at this interview/ the ofsted regs etc.

Hi. Firstly it's great to have another like me on the forum. Im also on an childhood studies degree, and i am the supervisor of a holiday playscheme, so hope i can be of help.

I didn't have any experience of over 8's either when i started, but soon got used to it, and blagged it at interview also!!

Holiday playschemes have to comply with the out of school day care and childminding standards which you can download from the ofsted website.

They are easy to comply with so don't worry.

Yeah, interview will last about an hour but shouldn't be too bad.

The summary of job role sounds about the same as mine, but im sure you've got loads of ideas for activities etc!!

I do mine in themes for each holiday.

If i were you, i would download the regs and get to know themas well as possible. Thats the best thing to do.

i pressed a button then, soz!

I dunno if you've done an nvq etc, but you'll find that the regs reflect alot of the practice you'd associate with that.

Good luck for your interview. im sure you'll be fine,

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask!!

laura x

Hi Laura

thanks for your reply, it was really helpful. Where are you studying? I'm at Northampton, in my first year of a BA(hons) Early Childhood Studies. :)

Yup i've got an nvq III and also a CACHE diploma, and I think I cover most of the person specs, I just didn't know what standards holiday clubs have to follow.

Thanks for your help :D

Just a couple of quick q's

How often does Ofsted visit holiday playschemes? And also I was reading the Ofsted report for the place i've got the interview at, and it only talks about children under 8. Is that because they only have to look at the provision for the under eights?

Thanks, Beth.

Hi. sorry for the slow reply, but at the playscheme this week!!

Im studying at Bishop Grosseteste college at Lincoln, Lincolnshire.Im doing BA(Hons) early childhood and education studies.

I don't really know why the guidlines only seem to look at provision of the under 8's. i know on our inspection report it just states that we look after over 8s aswell. There isn't another set of guidelines. You just have to make sure that the provision you provide for the over 8s doesn't interfere with that of the younger ones, i.e they have adequate chance to rest etc.

Ofsted visit you every three years, unless you're unfortunate enough to get an inadequate grade, then they visit you again within a year.

hope this helps, :)

laura x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...