Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Woods/forest

apple

hi folk goinf for the childrens idea about having a wood in our corner this term. Has anyone done this before? I though about a tent and rucksacks, binoculars torches.......

mind has gone blank.... any ideas :o

many thanks

We did a similar sort of thing - we laminated leaves and hung them from netting to make a leafy type roof. The children spent the first week in there cutting and drawing leaves etc. to weave through a camoflauge (excuse spelling) net on walls. We also used torches and binoculars etc.. We put in logs for seats and to do rubbings on. We also ut in bread and jam for ch to makes sandwiches to have picnics in the woods. We then focussed on a different story every week of so set in a woods i.e goldilocks, red riding hood. We had the costumes in to go with the story.

:o You could change the focus each week

1. tent maps

2. animals using puppets eg the Percy stories

3 House in the forest linked to goldilocks or Hansel and Gretal

4 Magical forest with fairies goblins etc

All could bee supported stories and stimulate ideas for group and individual writing

xD:(

ooh lola what loverly ideas :D I have a small screen which i was wondering what to put on and the weaving net sounds just the job, and the logs too... right I'm off to the local woods to find some wood!

thanks

We usually include animal hand puppets and twigs and leaves :)

My Easter task is to put together a Jungle box for the outdoor role play xD Have just ordered pith helmets and an inflateable parrot (think Ive lost it roll on tomorrow ) :):D:o:D:)

thanks les and Marion

we were in vietnam last summer (I know I know, oh the life of a teacher :D ) and picked up some real pith helmets for 80p (wish I'd brought back more now, but the chinese costumes for the role-play restaurant took up a lot of space :o I have a very long suffering boyfriend who is nicely trained to spot a bargain and useful bits and bobs for school when we are on our hols. :D

How marvellous to have trained your boyfriend to find bits for your group - I love him without knowing him - I think finding things is all part of the fun - you know you see something and think it might have great potential for something but what... doesn't always come to mind immediately and the number of things I have left - only to think later why didn't I buy those.. but the ideas for the woods are great you could also bring in some twigs and make blossom trees too with tissue paper, how long do mushrooms take to grow - this might be good - I know you can buy small packs - what about camouflaging the walls, and dooing Where's my Teddy with big and small teddies, brains gone now

Nikki