Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

De Bono's Thinking Hats

Guest Really

Guest Really

I have started to use these in Reception and shortly I need to do an inset to all staff. I was thinking of getting them to actually use the hats by giving them a question to consider, ideally about school. I am struggling for ideas (can't think!!!). Anyone got any inspirational ideas?

Thanks.

Different hats for different types of thinking

BLUE HAT (Organisation of Thinking)

Thinking about thinking. What have we done so far? What do we do next?

GREEN HAT (Creativity)

Ideas, suggestions and proposals. Problem solving.

RED HAT (Emotions)

Intuition, feelings and hunches. How do I feel about this right now?

YELLOW HAT (Good Points)

Why is this worth doing? How will it help us? Why can it be done? Why will it work?

BLACK HAT (Bad Points)

Caution. Judgement. Assessment. Is this true? Will it work? What are the weaknesses? What is wrong with it?

WHITE HAT (Information)

Questions. What information do we have? What information do we need to get?

Different hats for different types of thinking

"BLACK HAT (Bad Points)

Caution. Judgement. Assessment. Is this true? Will it work? What are the weaknesses? What is wrong with it?"

Caution: Black being identified as bad! (just busy with racial equality policy at school so awareness is heightened!)

heyjude

We use 'non existant' thinking hats :o

At circle time we 'put them on' but they are all imaginary and vary considerably! Yesterday mine was a big round pink one with ribbons and I tied the ribbon under my chin. One child had ' a woolly one with a bobble on', another child had 'a furry one and it does up with a popper'

It's great for conversation and all sorts - but we don't do it every day as the whole session could end up as a hat discussion! xD

We have been gradually introducing the thinking hats this term too, one session a week. We are an Early Years Class with the majority being summer born so all very young therefore we have been introducing each hat over a few sessions and using that to stimulate a discussion. For example how we feel about.... What is good about..... What isn't so good about..... etc

To make it more child friendly we have used a white chef hat, a black witches hat, a blue policeman's hat, a yellow play buddy hat, a green soldiers hat and our red hat is a santa hat. The children have responded well and we have been surprised at their level of understanding and responses. Next term we will start using the combination of hats to think about a variety of issues, starting with our class rules.

Sharon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)