Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-schools On School Property

Just wondering if any of you out there have established a pre-school on a school site. If you have, do you have a separate building? How did you finance it? and are you linked with the school or independant? Any feedback would be much appreciated as we are having many obsticles put in our way! Thanks in advance.

Just wondering if any of you out there have established a pre-school on a school site.  If you have, do you have a separate building?  How did you finance it? and are you linked with the school or independant?  Any feedback would be much appreciated as we are having many obsticles put in our way!    Thanks in advance.

49089[/snapback]

Jenni, I have run my pre-school on a school site for the last six years as as independent provider. The headteacher see's having us on site as a positive step and offered us all the help she could when we first approached her with the idea. We are using what was a spare mobile class room which is not attached to the main school and sits in its own area which we have had fenced off to provide our own outdoor area. The school has no formal input as to how I run my setting although the reception teacher and I meet regularly.

We have a rental agreement with the school which is covered by the government funding and fees etc.

Debbs

If I can be of more help just ask.

Similar for us.

We had a mobile on school grounds and paid rent (to the council I believe - before my time!) we are totally separate from the school but they let us use their playground! We had a fenced off area and own letter box etc

BUT

due to school development we had to move as they needed 'our' land. After lots of talks and negotiations a satellite of a childrne's centre was built on another part of the school grounds and we now rent that.

It isn't as good for us as we have set hours to be there - in the mobile we could go in whenever we wanted even holidays. We also have to clar everything away which we didn't have to do before.

We have half termly liaison meetings with the reception team (with other local groups invited) and I personally really appreciate their input but they have no say in how we run! This year we invited reception to come and watch our nativity and that made me soo happy!

We are going to look into our schools as our school system is having a re shuffle and the first schools are loosing their year 3 so there is the possibility of classrooms being free most of the schools don't have enough room on their sites to put mobiles so we will have to see what the future brings

• 2 weeks later...

We have our own mobile building on a school site and we lease the land from the Kent County Council, paying rent each month. We have strict rules laid down by the school which we have to adhere to. We have been established for 15 years on this site

BUT

the school have just opened there own maintained nursery unit. Our rent has been quadrupled and our lease reduced to two years. This will be up for renewal in December. Whilst we have been reassured that we will not be closed down a big question mark hangs in the air because we don't know whether the goal posts will get changed. We do feel that every obstacle will be thrown in our direction to encourage us to move on but we might be paranoid over this.

Since we opposed the planning of the new nursery on the grounds that there were not sufficient numbers of children in the area to warrant it our contact with the school has been minimal. Its a sad situation and I don't want to discourage you but there is a lot to be said for being completely independant because local authorities are being encouraged to open up maintained units and anyone on a school site might find there future isn't certain.

Edited by nicki-k