Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Age Related

Hi this has nothing to do with Pre-school children at all but would just like to know if I am getting really old and fuddy duddy in my old age. One of our big local night clubs has for years (so I have been told by a young lady in the council), HISTORICALLY opened up for youngsters for special disco's. When I checked with the club they told me the age range was from 13 to 17 years old. It runs a disco from 7pm to 10pm. I think quite often as well once a week. I asked why they picked that age range as I thought that 13yr olds with possible 17yr olds was a bit dangerous. Teenage pregnancy and all. I was told that it was down to parents if they wanted to let their children go or not, and that the Council had nothing to do with it, nor would they put on any age limit. The club has to cover up all displays of alcohol and obviously does not sell any. The club said they have very tight security and do not allow any one in that has consumed alcohol. I think I must be getting carried away with security, and see the bad in everything, but is it only me that morally thinks its wrong for a club to be exploiting youngsters. I have a 13yr old who bless him wanted to go and against my better judgement have let him. I have armed him with emergency phone numbers, big brother on call in the town. Is it just me that doesn't want to let my little boy go. :oxD I'm actually not worried about him as he is very responsible, but I just think they have years to go out "clubbing" :(:( Would love to hear other peoples up take on the situation.

I have a son who wouldn't be seen dead in a disco Steph so can't really comment. :o I would assume though that they are well aware of the possible problems and would have these covered. Still doesn't stop you from thinking of all the worst scenario's though, does it. :)

Hi Steph - I think this teenager disco event is quite common among clubs and is a way of enticing them in young xD I know exactly what you mean about "letting go" and it isn't easy (my 12 year old announced last summer that he wanted to catch the bus to London to go shopping :o ) My biggest worry about discos is the damage they do to young people's hearing - and you just can't tell 'em!

Dear ASPK

I think that it is a shame that the local club can't change it's age limits so that the 13-15yr olds can meet and the 16-17yr can meet at a diff time or on a diff day. There is a huge diff between a 13 yr old and a 17yr old and that diff must be evident at the club. I can see why you are concerned. I would be too.

I do think that there should be things for the youngsters to do and it's good that something has been provided for them but I just wish they would ask the kids want they want to do. In my experience (my daughter is 12,my son is 15) they like to do active things like bowling, playzone(soft play areas for big kids) team games, sports,paint balling etc more than dancing and listening to music. Un fortunately the council doesn't provide things like these for them to do in my area, how about u?

Trudie

Hi Trudie

The disco evenings don't affect me because my children aren't into that scene (yet) but I agree with you about the age thing.

My 14 year old has just joined the local gym - £16 a month (my Christmas present to him!) and absoutely loves it apart from that there is very little around to occupy his age group. We get loads of groups of kids hanging around street corners in the evenings NOT NICE!!! Fortunately my sons stay in and do their homework :D

Hi everyone thanks for the comments. I agree that I think the council should maybe advise the club that the age gap is wrong but I think they thought I was a paranoid mother. Just to update you all, my son went to the disco and was meant to be staying the night with his friend. he promissed he would ring us as soon as they got home about 10.45. this time came and went and the little devil we eventually got throu to at 11.10 when he said he had been trying to get out of the club for an hour. ( God help fire precautions) It turns out that the change over time was 11.00pm but he knew if he told me that time I wouldn't let him go. The one good thing to come out of the evening was that he didn't like the place cos it smelt horrible and was dark and dismal. he has also realized that however much he thinks he's pulling the wool over mother's eyes he is not. and that he doesn't want to go again. thank goodness. It was the old case of you can't choose their friends for them and he has realised that it was wrong. normally he's at his friend houses or at home, so I shouln't complain he had to flex his muscles some time. I think he will keep his head down for a while until the next little trial.

After going through it with my 21 yr old I think I have probably another 7 more years to go until a little bit of adult appears. xD:(:(:D:o