Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Musical Help Please

I have a child in my setting who is on the autistic spectrum.

Our Early Years SENCO has said we need to promote , if I do this then this will happen and Im using music as he reacts well to music

such as I play a tune on the CD for tidy up time and hes happy to be amongs the rest of the group and actually does tidy up.

To set up his routines I need to find specific music and wondered if anyone knows of any Welcome songs, or Good morning songs, so he may come to register - have trawled the internet but not getting very far. Are there any well known music sites you use

Or will be grateful for any advice you can give me

Thank you

I don't know if this is of any help, but in Music Express there is a lovely song called Say Hello. Really easy to learn and the children love to sing it to each other when they come in in the morning. They also changed the words to Say Goodbye for when they go home.

I'll have a think of other songs with familiar tunes

hello nanny

have you thought about just trying some of your own choice of music to establish the routines. I use classical music a lot; we have Mozart for handwriting, madame butterfly at milk time, william tell overture for tidying up (when i feel like they can cope with a faster pace!) my friend also sent me the theme to batman which she has used for tidying up; lots of fun and kapows as we flit around the room! :o

'Early Birds' (i think they have a website) do some great music.. they have one song called 'Going Home' which signals our home time.

I think basically you choose any piece of music and you use the same piece for the same activity; the children soon begin to associate it with that acitivity.

relax kids do some fab meditation cd's on their website you can listen before you buy. We have the Shining Stars one that we use at then end of Physical Development sessions.

Hope this helps :)

Just did a quick google and found the following.

Hope they're useful

Sung to: "Frere Jacques"

Hello, (child's Name) Hello, (child's name)

How are you? How are you?

We're so glad to have you,

We're so glad to have you.

Here at school, here at school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sung to: "Three Blind mice"

Hello, (child's name). Hello, (child's name).

How are you? How are you?

We're glad you're here to laugh and play,

We hope you'll have some fun today,

You're welcome, welcome everyday.

To our playschool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sung to: "Frere Jacques"

Teacher:

I'm Ms. (name), I'm Ms. (name).

That's my name, That's my name.

Glad to see you here.

Glad to see you here.

What's your name? What's your name?

Child:

I am (name), I am (name).

That's my name, that's my name.

I am glad to be here,

I am glad to be here.

At school today, at school today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sung to: "Mary had a little lamb"

We welcome you to school today,

School today, School today,

We welcome you to school today,

Please come in and play.

We're glad to have you here today,

Here today, here today.

We're glad to have you here today.

Yes, it's a special day!

Sung to: "I'm a little teapot"

I am your new teacher, Mrs. (name),

I want to say hello to you.

We will learn our letters and numbers too!

We'll have fun and learn lots too!

Sung to: "Happy Birthday"

We welcome you here,

We welcome you here.

We welcome everybody,

We welcome you here.

Sung to: "Mary had a little lamb"

Merrily we start the day,

Start the day, start the day.

Merrily we start the day,

All of us at school.

Sung to: "The farmer in the dell"

Teacher:

I'm glad you came today,

I'm glad you came today.

Hello to everyone, (wave hello)

I'm glad you came today.

Children:

We're glad we came today,

We're glad we came today.

Hello, hello to everyone, (wave hello)

We're glad we came today.

All:

We'll work and play today,

We'll work and play today.

Hello, hello to everyone, (wave hello)

We'll work and play today.

Sung to: "The Mulberry bush"

This is the way we start the day,

Start the day, start the day.

This the way we start the day,

So early in the morning.

First we smile and shake a hand,

Shake a hand, shake a hand.

First we smile and shake a hand,

So early in the morning.

Then we sit down quietly,

Quietly, Quietly

Then we sit down quietly,

So early in the morning.

We listen very Carefully,

Carefully, Carefully.

We listen very carefully,

So early in the morning.

Sung to: "Good-night ladies"

Hello, children; hello children,

Hello, children; I'm glad you're here today.

Sung to: "London Bridges"

How many Friends are here today?

Here to learn, here to play?

How many friends are here today?

Let us count them.

Sung to: "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"

We wish you a happy Monday,

We wish you a happy Monday,

We wish you a happy Monday all day long.

Sung to: "Happy and You Know It"

Good morning, good morning.. How are you?

Good morning, good morning. How are you?

How are you this special day.

We're glad you came to play.

Good morning, good morning.. How are you?

Sung to: "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"

Let's see who is here today,

Who has come to join our play?

Everyone sit close at hand,

Say your name, then you can stand,

Let's see who is here today,

Who has come to join our play?

Sung To: " The Farmer in the Dell"

I like to come to (preschool, daycare, class)

With all the other boys and girls

Because (name) will be there, and (name) will be there

(Keep on till you've named everyone)

And we're so glad that we're all here.

Sung To: "Happy Birthday"

Good morning to you, good morning to you.

Good morning everybody, good morning to you.

I'm so glad you're here, I'm so glad you're here.

Come sit in our circle, I'm so glad you're here.

(sub morning/afternoon and our circle, at our table, etc. as needed)

Sung To: "Skip To My Lou"

Hello, how are you? (Wave at children)

Hello, how are you?

Hello, how are you?

How are you this morning?

I'm fine and I hope you are, too (Point to self)

I'm fine and I hope you are, too

I'm fine and I hope you are, too

I hope you are, too this morning!

Turn to your neighbor and shake their hand

Shake their hand this morning!

six singing pigs

bobby shaftoe

and musical maths are all great for use with autist children I have had several over the last coupleof years. These books are by A@C Black and have songs and stories to familiar nursery rhyme tunes they are brilliant for age 3/6 or even older and their are more in the series.hope this is of help

:oxD:(

Dear Nanny

We have children on the spectrum in our school. Children with autism need lots of visual cues, especially in whole class work and small group work. They also need a visual timetable of all the activities they will be doing during the day. They also respond well to having something to hold during quiet times, we have made a small piece of carpet tile in the past for the child to sit on during carpet time with a string of coloured beads attached which they hold and fiddle with if they need to.

Sorry if you already know all this, if there is anything else that you do, would appreciate your strategies. :o

Trudiex

Dear Angel

Thank you for all those welcome songs, I've copied and pasted them and shall use them in my circle time xD

Trudiex

It was suggested on a recent SEAL course using music with 40 beats per minute as a calming down time havent quite got my head round which pieces of music fit the bill.

I use one of those wobble/balance spots as a marker for a child in my class who is in the Autistic spectrum (it stops him wandering all round the room)

We tried visual clues but he hates them and I find I am constantly retrieving them from various bins.

He needs very clear direct instructions not general ones for the whole class. Again probably not saying anything new :o

It was suggested on a recent SEAL course using music with 40 beats per minute as a calming down time havent quite got my head round which pieces of music fit the bill.

I use one of those wobble/balance spots as a marker for a child in my class who is in the Autistic spectrum (it stops him wandering all round the room)

We tried visual clues but he hates them and I find I am constantly retrieving them from various bins.

He needs very clear direct instructions not general ones for the whole class. Again probably not saying anything new :o

48363[/snapback]

Thank you very much for all your help - hes not adjusting very well to visual clues and like you Marion decides to throw them around - could you tell me what wobble/balance spots are please

Basically its an inflatable rubber cushion I use it to mark where I want him to sit and because it requires some concentration to sit it helps him to control his movements. found a picture of an example online (some are textured some smooth) can also be used for children with poor coordination. Ours came in a SAQ pack and I hi jacked it :)

post-4544-1140775625_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)