Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling all NQTs ... and you 'old hands'

FSFRebecca

We've all been there .... thinking we're 'ready' for being a teacher and then comes a crushing blow that reminds us that we are not invincible!

These anecdotes made me chuckle:

Learn from our mistakes: teachers share their first-year faux pas

My own experience ....

• My very first class was a year 3 group in a Junior school in Brighton. I was really lucky to be teaching alongside 2 other very experienced professionals who appreciated my enthusiasm and gave me a tissue when it all got too much. Each day, after the children had gone I would be sitting in the classroom doing my marking or preparing for the next day and one of the cleaners would come in and have a chat while she was sweeping and wiping down the sides. She did this for the whole of the Autumn term, When we went back in January she saw me on the first day and said 'oh dear, didn't you pass?' - turned out she had, for the whole of the Autumn term, thought I was a trainee
  • My first parents evening - I stood at the classroom door ready to welcome my first 'appointment' - the dad looked at me, leaned into the classroom and had a good look round and then looked back to me with "Good God, you're not the teacher?!" I did look quite young then - it was a v.long time ago!
  • Like 1