Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do All Children Access Outdoor Play?

Hi, sorry to bring it up again 'cause I know there have been loads of threads on outdoor play, but I have another query.

I'm happy with what I offer my children in terms of activities and resources, and I've recently made the outdoor area free running (the children can openly go in / out most of the time when they are on child initiated play - can't remember term!)

Because of the new system, there may be times when particular children never go out, unless we all go out (and vice versa). I've tried to watch this and don't think it's the case for many children - they're quite good at trying different things.

BUT...

If this does happen - does it matter? I'm all for child initied play etc but I just wondered what others think. I know I can track with self-registers etc but should I try to persuade the children to go out if they're always in ( or in if they're always out) because although many of the activities link - there are obviously some experiences unique to either environment.

Thanks

Kelly

I think to really judge the "benefit" to the individual child, you would also need to take into consideration their home experiences. For example, if I knew a child lived in a high rise with no garden and little experience of outdoor play, and they didn't choose to go outside, I would encourage/ support them to access the provision I offered. They may be reluctant just because it is familiar to their way of life. On the reverse a child who spends a lot of time with his/her family going to the park/beach/ activity centres etc, may welcome the chance to just be indoors during their preschool/school day.

I do believe that children will;

1/ Choose to participate in experiences which are relevant to them be it indoors or out.

2/ Choose to play/go where their most influencial peer friends go.

3/ Be open to encouragement but totally against "uniform" activity- others are doing it so you should too.

You sound like your offering a good choice of provision, but also quite rightly feel a need to monitor it. May I suggest you carry out an event sample observation for a period of half a term and see what this tells you about which children choose which area, when etc. Then go from there. Seasonal weather may also change childrens choices, some feel the cold more than others.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)