Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Provision

Aunt Sally

Do many of you working in reception classes have outdoor provision with direct access? I currently don't and was looking forward to gaining this when we move into our new school. I have just discovered that there still isn't and I am gutted as I feel that outdoor provision is an important part of the early years curriculum :o . I understand not having provision now but to move into a new build without is so disappointing. Has anyone experienced negative comments from ofsted regarding their outdoor provision?

Perhaps I need to get Helen Bilton on board.

Haven't gone down that route yet but I have been surprised that no-one in school seems to consider it to be a problem. I was beginning to think it it was just me thinking that direct ouside was a must in a new building considering that we are following a curriculum which promotes well planned play inside and out.

Is the problem that there will be no direct access to the outdoor provision or will there be NO outdoor provision in your new build? I don't exactly have direct access but this has turned out to be a bonus because I have a 'transition area' where children can get their boots on/off etc and then go outside.

If your new build has no outdoor provision for you then I am really amazed - I know new builds can take a time from planning to building but the Curriculum Guidance has been around for years.

Good luck - is it all too late to change things?

Is the problem that there will be no direct access to the outdoor provision or will there be NO outdoor provision in your new build?    I don't exactly have direct access but this has turned out to be a bonus because  I have a 'transition area' where children can get their boots on/off etc and then go outside.

If your new build has no outdoor provision for you then I am really amazed - I know new builds can take a time from planning to building but the Curriculum Guidance has been around for years. 

Good luck - is it all too late to change things?

44520[/snapback]

There is plenty of shared outdoor provision i.e. playgrounds etc but no 'direct access' to an enclosed area for my class as requested.

i have trouble with my outside area. we have just had a big extention on the building for foundation but i have to go through the other class to get to the outside area, so i have to either not go out so much or keep diasturbing her class. i slao have to send an adult with a group which means when i ahve no support they cant go out. i really wanted it to be more free flow instead of sending a group each time.

its so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have trouble with my outside area. we have just had a big extention on the building for foundation but i have to go through the other class to get to the outside area, so i have to either not go out so much or keep diasturbing her class. i slao have to send an adult with a group which means when i ahve no support they cant go out. i really wanted it to be more free flow instead of sending a group each time.

its so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!

44551[/snapback]

It seems to me a lot of foundation nurseries/classes have a long way to go before 'we' get a seamless indoor and outdoor provision which is obviously best practice!!!!

We don't have free flow outdoor because of our situation within the school... I have to plan to have my TA out there as I cannot see the children from the classroom, and I only have part time TA! It is a pain - but the only available option. When will Heads learn that outdoor provision is as equally important as indoor? That said I feel we have come to a good compromise and the children are very aware of when out door is available and use it productively! It does make me green with envy though when I visit other settings with their own areas! :o