Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forces

Hi I am working in Year one on my second teaching practice has anyone got any ideaas or activites I could do with the topic on forces? Really stuggling please help xxxxxxx Kirsty

I did this last year, & I'm trying to remember what we did. The children played with toy vehicles & we discussed whether they pushed/pulled them etc. What did they need to do to make them stop/go . As part of this we looked at road safety (i.e. a person stopping the force of a car :o !!

Our science investigation involved getting children to create a ramp for a car, choosing a vehicle, predicting what they think will happen when they let the vehicle go from the top of the ramp, & describe what actually happened, offering any reasons for this. (Mine included "Because it's red"; "Because it's a police car" & "Because it's a racing car."

Also clay in art - having an impact on the object by force.

Yep, that sounds about right, Chocolate Girl :D

Have you looked at eh QCA scheme of work?

You might also like to take a look at the pushes and pulls sheet here

I have done forces with a reception class/ year 1 class.

I made it into an investigation by giving them a range of cars and talking about how we could make the car travel further, They had materials such as wood and guttering, water and a range of fabrics- for rough and smooth surfaces.

The children were them allowed to experiement and we talked about what they had found out.

Some children found ramps worked and this is extended by using different surfaces for ramps, asking if it is fair if we push our cars etc.

the children love using the guttering for ramps and can add water to help the cars move better.

Good luck

L

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)