Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn B Totals

I know that every child is different, but I'm hoping you can give me a general idea of attainment at this time of year. I've read the topic on over scoring and totally understand the concerns (and will take heed of the warnings re evidence) but am also concerned that there will be a tendency to underscore too, which has it's own issues.

Luckily I'm confident that I have scored appropriately - and have spent a good amount of time getting my own head around the criteria for each point. I was just wondering what were the average scoring that people were getting at this time of year. This is the first year where we have done the profiles incrementally (don't ask!), so I'm interested to know what you were all getting, on a general note!

Thanks xx

I know that every child is different, but I'm hoping you can give me a general idea of attainment at this time of year.  I've read the topic on over scoring and totally understand the concerns (and will take heed of the warnings re evidence) but am also concerned that there will be a tendency to underscore too, which has it's own issues. 

Luckily I'm confident that I have scored appropriately - and have spent a good amount of time getting my own head around the criteria for each point.  I was just wondering what were the average scoring that people were getting at this time of year.  This is the first year where we have done the profiles incrementally (don't ask!), so I'm interested to know what you were all getting, on a general note!

Thanks xx

44317[/snapback]

Our attainment is traditionally quite low due to catchment - all I think you need to worry about is - if you know a child can meet a stepping stone/criteria in different contexts on more than one occassion then they have achieved it. Hope this helps

Mine arrived very low - some weren't getting any scores and the most was probably a 3 - but not in all areas. They've all made progress so I'm not worried at all (!) but as my setting doesn't moderate (again, don't ask!), I was hoping that an idea from you guys as to what, in general terms, you think is a good score for Autumn B, would answer lots of questions for me as far as where my children sit at the minute. I know things need to be taken into consideration, but am not worried about those and won't be in any way influencing how mine score. I was asking more out of interest than anything else.

Thanks in advance!

I concentrate on the first three points for the first term (the stepping stones). I am reluctant to give my children much more than this at this stage of the year. Having said that there are a few areas where I have given more because I feel really sure that those children have achieved them. My average is 32 at the moment. How does that compare with yours?

Debbie

I'd hoped that by the time the children were arriving at reception they were about to enter the ELGs - unfortunately mose of mine were still well below achieving SSs. At the minute, I'm happy to say that on average the children are now getting 3s or 4s - the 4s for my tops. As I'm doing the eprofile I can see my averages on bar charts and my top average is DA with about 5. The lowest is reading and writing, where the average is short of 2. The rest they are about 3.7s or 4s which I am very happy with - although one of the other reception teachers in my school is getting 6 or 8 for a top few and 5s for middles and then obviously similar to mine for her bottoms (I have a very low ability class).

I've double checked and evidenced lots this term - so I am certain that what I have ticked off they can do.

If you are still concentrating on the 3 SSs, how do you do at the end of the year as far as attaining ELGs?

We've always found that as the children come in hardly attaining the SSs on entry, it is very difficult to get them comfortably in the ELGs by the end of the year - it is very much an uphill battle. Luckily this year, although they have started very low, they are steadily making progress to being comfortable within the ELGs.

Am I waffling or making sense?

xxx

Not involved at the moment but I would think if they arrived scoring nil then to have scored 3 by now is about right. Points 4 -8 equate to ELGs as Im sure you know anyway so theres still plenty of time before they need to be attaining those. If you have children scoring within these bands then you are probably looking at exceptional attainment and point 9 by the end of the year?

Except that by using it throughout the year it can demonstrate progress, I actually quite like using the profile as a summative document and remember it was designed to be used in either way!

Hi Gater,

no you're not waffling! My children are like yours, stronger in PSE and weaker in CLL at the moment.

We have three intakes a year, so although we have a nursery some children only get 1 or 2 terms in reception. (I have 11 children until Xmas, in January I'll go up to 20 and then in April, 28.) Our children generally come into school with quite poor literacy skills, therefore although they make good progress many of them struggle to meet the ELGs, particularly in CLL. I am very conservative with my scoring, maybe I should be more generous, but it worries me that the powers that be will start making predictions of level 5 in Y6 SATS if they score too highly.

Debbie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)