Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Class Size

basilbrush

for the past few years i have a taught a reception class that ranged in size from 19 to 25 children..... I always noticed a difference with the slightly larger group, even with the difference of only a few children... in january, i will be taking a reception class of 30 children, so larger again - i have never had a R class this size before, even though it is the standard, just wondered if anybody noticed anthing different with a larger group, or had particular strategies that worked well with larger groups of children.... we will have freeflow indoor and outdoor provision whihc we didn't have before so that will help a bit i think...

anyones views would be welcomed

thanks

bb

Hi bb

Are you alone or do you have support? It does make a big difference. I am currently in a Foundation Stage Unit so its slightly different but in the past have had reception classes of 36. this year we have 27 reception and 31 nursery children 9 numbers will increase as we have continuous intake over the year) There are 2 teachers and 2 NNs Freeflow makes life much calmer in my experience.

My only view is not so much how many children you have but THE STAFF RATIO. Lack of adults in a Reception Class, I think, is a HUGE problem.

At the moment our children come from our feeder pre schools where the ratio is normally 1 adult to 6 children and when they come to us there is just the teacher and a TA - this does not match their needs.

Last year we had fantastic parent support which made a difference, especially in group work (which we do all at the same time.) So far, this year, we have no parental help but I am about to try and 'recruit' some!

Also we have 30 reception in one class and 31 in the other!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently there is no legal limit on the no. of children in reception classes, the 30 limit only applies in Key Stage 1!!!

Also we have 30 reception in one class and 31 in the other!!!!!!!!!!!!  Apparently there is no legal limit on the no. of children in reception classes, the 30 limit only applies in Key Stage 1!!!

42840[/snapback]

That's interesting, Bungalow, I thought the limit did apply to reception - will have to double check! What is your school's admissions number?

[i work at a school where we have also been told that class size legislation does not apply. our admissions is supposedly 70 but at present there are 93 on role who knows where it will end!!!

The following quote is from the teachernet.gov.uk website:

"The Government pledged in its 1997 election manifesto to limit the size of classes for five, six and seven year olds (infants) to no more than 30 pupils.

The School Standards and Framework Act placed a duty on LEAs and schools to limit the size of infant classes for five, six and seven year olds taught by one qualified teacher to 30 or fewer pupils. The limit became a statutory duty from September 2001, the start of the 2001/02 school year."

Since Reception children turn 5 during the reception year I don't see how this does not apply to all reception classes...

Thank ASPK

Will take this info into school but the School Office have phoned several 'offical' people and that is the answer we have - the 30 limit only applies to Key Stage 1. The point made earlier about our admissions nos. is interesting though - I think that would be 60 in our school!