Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy Manager

Hi,

I have a quick question - Our Deputy Manager is leaving at the end of term. We have a number of Level 3 staff at the setting, however none of them are suitable to take over as deputy. (Either do not want to do it, or not enough hours etc).

We have a member of staff in mind, however she is not qualified. She is doing her Level 3 at the moment, but only just started it. I have checked the Ofsted Requirements and it states that "The provider must ensure there is a named deputy who, in their judgement, is capable and qualified to take charge in the manager’s absence." - It does not state that this person must be a Level 3 (or qualified).

What do you think ?

Many Thanks xxx

Hi,

We are also recruiting for a Deputy Nursery Manager! Are you a nursery owner or manager?

Either way, whilst I'm all for staff being given opportunities to develop themselves through CPD and further training, I feel that to take on the role of a deputy nursery manager (assuming that you intend for this person to step up in the managers absence and support the manager in the running of the setting), understand the role of the deputy and the demands any post within the management team will bring, coupled with completing her training is not ideal. As a nursery manager I want to be sure the person I recruit has gained the experience needed by working in a number of roles in the child care sector, developing his/her experience with every role. Using their knowledge gained through their training and life experience.

Good luck with your recruitment and hope my penny's worth of thought helps!

Ofsted info misleading as it states that have to be suitably qualified, only suitable qualification now is a level 3

Thing is with deputy if manager goes out for any great length of time then they have to cover, would rather have qualified person also how will that sit with staff that are level 3, I do agree that not all level 3s are suitable but surely that is cpd to manage them to become suitable if they want it

I think that it depends in your setting what role your deputy would have, with us we have two managers so it is very rare that the deputy would ever actually be in charge. Our deputy is fully qualified anyway. But from speaking to ofsted I think their view is that if your deputy is more to support manager with paperwork etc then childcare qualification isn't vital, they might have overall responsibility but not in the ratios etc with lots of other qualified staff. You know your staff and if it is purely a technicality of a level 3 qualification and the staff member has loads of experience etc I personally wouldn't see the problem!

I think in an ideal world you would want qualified - and I think that Ofsted would want a qualified person IF something happened on the say she was deputising, it would be interesting to see how you would stand with Ofsted.

You don't say whether you are a day nursery or a sessional pre-school?

In my 10 years of being in a sessional pre-school, recruitment has ALWAYS been an absolute nightmare mainly because we don't offer the full hours that most people want. We have nearly always used well experienced people who have then agreed to become qualified - it's a tough one.

I asked ofsted about whether I needed to complete an ey3 for a deputy and they replied saying no if was occasional. In the email they said about not needing to be qualified which I did find strange!!

Copy of what they said in email here:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, please be advised that The Early Years Foundation Stage states that:

The provider must ensure there is a named deputy who, in their judgement, is capable and qualified to take charge in the managers absence.

In appointing a deputy manager, the provider must be sure that the individual has the necessary skills and knowledge to deputise in the managers absence. Having a qualification may be a factor but the EYFS does not state that the deputy must have any qualification.

If a deputy manager takes over from the manager regularly for a few days a week or on emergency occasions such as sick leave or holidays they would not be required to submit an EY3 form. If the deputy was to take over for an extended period such as long term sick and you want them to be able to speak to Ofsted on behalf of the setting, they will need to submit an EY3 form.

In most settings a manager and deputy are part of the ratio's ( surely not just mine) ( who could afford to have them as super numeracy!)in larger settings most are called upon to cover for absence and therefore should be qualified

I'm a deputy manager and I am lvl 3 qualified, I am also included in to the ratios!

But I do find it hard to get everything done sometimes. At the moment I'm trying to get staff appraisals done, write annual and moving on reports, while trying to keep everything going a long smoothly. My manager is doing a uni degree at the mo, so I'm basically running the show!! Its hard work...:/

Lisiloo xx

O it so is I arrange for cover for me so I can get some much needed paperwork done and someone is sick so I'm back in ratio again. It is frustrating but I wouldn't change it love my job

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry - was really rude of me to post a question and then disappear !!!

Thank you for your replies, I have got a Level 3 to take over just to be on the safe side.

Thx xx