Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Can't Stand The Wait

Dear Peggy

Had a really good day with my boys - now that they are older we seem to spend so very little time together that it is really nice to be able to go out with them. Most of the fisheries around here will not allow them to stay on their own until they are 16 - so off I trundled with five boys in tow and we had a really good day - arrived at 9.30 and was booted off the site at 6.00 - they managed to catch a few carp between them - their friends were really good fun - very polite, chatty (as long as it was about fishing). Life is strange and our perceptions of people can be quite clouded. One of the boys who is being "home tutored", well he's not attending school, and comes from the local traveller community, is a boxer, came out with us today - I have met several times before and he is just one of nicest boys you could ever hope to meet - witty, polite, sensible, chatty and very appreciative - it was his first time at a proper fisheries and yet before I got to know him - his reputation did rather precede him and I had my reservations about whether he would be a good friend for my son to have - how awful was that I know - just goes to show - so yes we had a lovely relaxing day - chatted to loads of men who made me cups of coffee and complimented me on the boys and their behaviour - which was nice - hey perhaps this is where I could meet a new man!!!! No more bars for me.

How are things going with your new life?

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I haven't been around recently, so only just read about the job. All I can say is, their loss!!

Don't worry, that job's lurking, waiting to take you by surprise xD

Glad you had a great day fishing with those boys....I remember getting up at 5 am to go fishing with my boyfriend - now husband- I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but it was a great excuse to spend time with him :o

Sue :D

Dear Peggy

Had a really good day with my boys - now that they are older we seem to spend so very little time together that it is really nice to be able to go out with them.  Most of the fisheries around here will not allow them to stay on their own until they are 16 - so off I trundled with five boys in tow and we had a really good day - arrived at 9.30 and was booted off the site at 6.00 - they managed to catch a few carp between them - their friends were really good fun - very polite, chatty (as long as it was about fishing).  Life is strange and our perceptions of people can be quite clouded.  One of the boys who is being "home tutored", well he's not attending school, and comes from the local traveller community, is a boxer,  came out with us today - I have met several times before and he is just one of nicest boys you could ever hope to meet - witty, polite, sensible, chatty and very appreciative - it was his first time at a proper fisheries and yet before I got to know him - his reputation did rather precede him and I had my reservations about whether he would be a good friend for my son to have - how awful was that I know - just goes to show - so yes we had a lovely relaxing day - chatted to loads of men who made me cups of coffee and complimented me on the boys and their behaviour - which was nice - hey perhaps this is where I could meet a new man!!!!  No more bars for me.

How are things going with your new life?

Nikki

41704[/snapback]

Nichola,

I know where you are coming from, when I met my hubby, my son was 12 yrs old and was a keen sportsman, basketball, football, Black belt karate ( yes at 12 yrs old-so proud) swimming, diving etc. Hubby's family were keen fishermen...My son was not impressed...fishing is like trainspotting, he said, very boring, ....well 10 years on and my son, Ellis, goes fishing more than all my husbands family put together. ( although my hubbys brother is at Anglers paradise in Devon, as we speak :( ) Ellis is mad on carp fishing, sleeps all night in a tent waiting for his bite alarm to go off xD My hubby is of the old school fisherman, stay awake and watch the float....I could go on.....

Your profound experience with the young traveler lad is so relevant, I think people within our society are so quick to judge ( me being just as guilty as the next person) yet people like you and me do have an open mind, we do get to know people and nearly always find that we have underestimated the true worth of individuals and, may I suggest, even regret, having prejudiced thoughts in the first instance, only to find that we were wrong. The world is a better place if we acknowledge that we do have prejudice, because if we deny this, we are not open minded to see and recognise that we do sometimes make initial mis-judgements due to stereotypes.

The thing ( for want of a better term) I like most about this forum is that I am able to meet/converse with like minded people, like you. :D

As for meeting men, I agree, pubs are for drinkers, ( which is ok but not necessarily relationship makers) lakes and rivers are for people who appreciate nature or (be warned) are for people who want places to go to to get away from the women. Why are there not many woman who go fishing????? I think involvement in any sport is a good way to meet people.

I'm waffling now, quite late, but I hope you get my drift :o

Have a great weekend.

Peggy