Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice and help please........

I have an interview for a Lecturers post in a local college; I have to plan a 2 hour lesson plan and micro teach 15 minutes of it. I have never drawn up a lesson plan. I would like to quickly build up a rapport with the students (2nd year L3). I obviously want to make it as interesting and inter active as possible. So any advice, suggestions, do's and dont's will be gratefully received! The subject is

• To identify theory underpinning the Early Years founcation Stage Curriculum
  • To evaluate how the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum supports child development.

Thanking you all in massive anticipation!!!!!

Good luck!

I taught level 3 NVQ students for a year, one evening per week.

It was a steep learning curve, but good experience!

Believe it or not I didn't have to do either of things you have been asked to do just an interview! Perhaps only I applied!!!

I had got my C&G 730 teaching and assessing adult earners certificate but at that point I was only a level 3 myself!

I think now with my EYP and BA I would be more confident in my own knowledge!

I think I would be looking to get the students bringing forth their own knowledge or thoughts particularly as to whether the EYFS supports child development

The interview format is similar to the one I had to do last year (and I got the job!). If the course is the same as the one I'm teaching the students should know about Piaget and Vygotsky, but whether they remember in the lesson is another matter! My 2nd years have looked at the pioneers as part of their 2nd year modules and I linked to the EYFS, their placement practice and the work of Piaget and Vygotsky. I used a 4 part lesson plan for my planning, showing a starter, an intro, development and plenary. I'm attaching the basic planner for you.

In the interview I delivered the intro, writing a starter as a recap of previous learning. I began by very quickly introducing myself, but didn't really ask about them as 15 minutes doesn't really give you long with a group of post 16s (in my experience they will either not talk or not stop talking!). If you use the intro as your delivered lesson you can demonstrate in the rest of your planning how you might extend the lesson for the more able or do more consolidation with out having to actually do it and plan more than one activity, ie make it too complicated for yourself. One thing my group apparently liked at interview and still do now, was something to take away so if you can provide a handout, simple and brief but interesting, it might be useful.

I did the rapport building through lots of conversation and questioning in the delivery part rather than trying to get to know them directly. If you know which course exactly they are studying it is very useful to see what the course criteria and delivery guidance is as it will help you pitch it. Ermmm, can't think of anything else I can advise but let me know if you have any specific questions, and good luck.

4 part lesson plan.doc