Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children recording risk/benefit assessment?

Hi!

Has anyone ever had their children record a risk/benefit assessment??

I would like to allow my children to use a barked, fence play area next to our garden area.

I was thinking that I could get the children to 'write' to the FSHead to persuade her to let them use the area by photographing different features and telling her how they'd minimise the risks - like 'We'll make sure the gate is shut' 'We won't throw the bark' etc

and present their ideas to the rest of the class

Hmm...I'm not sure

Anyone tried this before?

Thanks

Thanks for the support Susan!

Did you get the children to write their ideas down? That's what I'm not sure about and why I had the idea of using their writing to persuade the FSHead.

NNot quite the 'persuasive writing' I used to do with Year 6 but hey! just as valid I thought.

Guest sn0wdr0p

I run an out of school club and whenever we get a new piece of equipment or plan an activity we do the risk assessment alongside the children. We have just bought some woodworking equipment and I sat with the children and asked them what we should do to make it a safe activity and they came up with the ideas such as wear gloves and goggles, only two children in the area at once, put each tool away safely after each use. Obviously they need prompting at times but it certainly hammers (sorry couln't help myself) the message home when they are involved. The children are then responsible for making posters for the area of the activity. When heading out on a trip all the children going are sat on the floor to do the same and it is much better than me 'lecturing' them about what to do when out. We get some really funny suggestions -usually surounding stranger danger - and it is really hard not to laugh. At our recent ofsted inspection the inspector was really impressed by this. Our risk assessment sheets show who carried out the assessment and the list can get rather long.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)