Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School run staff

Dear All

Just looking at staffing etc. I have a small group of b/after school children that we walk to school each day. Sessions vary from 1 child to 8.

Does anyone know if staff on school runs have to have level 3 or can they be adults with CRB etc? What qualifications do yours have? We are a small setting so don't have lots of spare staff who can just pop out so wondered what others do, was thinking of just taking on some extra help with CRB. Thanks

Guest sn0wdr0p

Depending on the number of children we can just have one. My thoughts are that if there was a problem there are always many many people around to help on our short route back. The Ofsted inspector observed two of our walks in October both accompanied by one staff member and did not comment on it or raise any concerns nor did he comment on our risk assessments for our school walks which also spelt out the ratios. I do ensure that all my staff who do walks have their paediatric first aid training and carry a first aid kit, a work mobile phone and all children wear high vis jackets. Usually a level three is on every walk and occasionally if I have people off sick I have allowed a level 2 and an experienced mature unqualified staff member who was not yet qualified. I do base it on each individual though and in honesty there are some members of staff I would not like to do a walk on their own.

that's really helpful, thanks Snowdrop...we don't do school runs yet but is something we keep getting asked for. I'm a little paranoid though so it keeps putting me off!

Thank you. I feel that as long as I am satisfied with who I feel can keep the children safe that qualifications are irrelevant. We also have hi vis , first aid kit,phone etc. on the days where I only have 1/2 children I am only sending one staff member. Was interested to see what others thought.

We are right next door to the school and I send one member of staff to fetch the one or two children. I have always had 2 level 3 or above staff looking after the one or two children for the one hour session but it's very expensive and I will be stopping at the end of the summer term. I don't feel I can stop sooner as I committed to it and the parent of the only regularly booked child is at college and I feel bad! But can I do it with me (EYPS) and an assistant who is half way through her Level 3 course? Or is that not allowed as this isn't strictly 'half all other staff level 2 and above) - she went straight to level 3 so is unqualified. It would be cheaper if I could do this.