Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Induction (Already!)

Hi all

we are just putting dates in the school diary for Reception Induction and have a query.

Normally we close the school nursery for the day and the two reception classes come over and spend the day in nursery with the staff there to allow new children and parents to have their Induction.

However, we have now expanded to 3 form intake and cannot fit 90 children in the Nursery - so what to do with the 90!! A possible idea was to maybe look at having the Reception Induction at the beginning of September, just before they come in. I wondered if anyone did it this way and if so how do you think it goes?

Any other solutions to our dilemma would be welcome.

We would have an evening parents meeting for the new intake in July and a possible 'Open Day' for anyone that wanted to come round prior to a September Induction.

We have ours on the same day as the secondary schools in the county so everyone moves up a year for the day - Year 6 go to their new secondary schools, yr 5 go to yr 6 etc so the current reception go to year 1 leaving the reception rooms and staff free to have an induction day for the new intake. Works really well, but I guess it would only work if your secondary schools have the same induction days so all of the year 6 children can be out at the same time, we're lucky that these dates seem to be the same across the county so all the schools that I have worked at have done it like this. We also have story time for the new children on a few different dates over the Summer term. When we do this the current children go to the hall and on the playground with half the Yr R staff. It's a bit busy but really useful. We then have 3 days at the start of September when each child has a 30 min appointment with their family to come and spend time with us, look around etc and we can chat to them and the family. This is a realy good time to get to know the family better and helps the child feel more comfotable when they start as they have had some time to experience the classroom and adults in a much more gentle way than staright in to school on day one. It also doesn't really effect things much, it just means the children start 3 days later than the rest of the school, but this has never been a problem.

• 3 months later...

I wonder what people's induction looks like for September I am trying to re-organise this year. We have two parallel classes for the first year and we free flow (not that, thats particularly relevant!). I would like time to do a 'baseline' with children on a few key areas. I would like to split the class so they aren't all in at once. Last year we had two groups one did mornings, one afternoons (week1) then they swapped for week 2 then they had a week inc lunch (week3) then they were in full time (week4). Soo.. What do you do?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)