Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Storytelling

Storytelling is the focus of our book week and I need to do something with my class that will result in a display for the hall. Any fab ideas?

I was thinking of using Peace at Last and trying to put together a simple story sack(Can't afford to buy one) and for the chn to use the props to retell the story. Doesn't seem very imaginative though and can't think of an inspiring display.

Storytelling is the focus of our book week and I need to do something with my class that will result in a display for the hall. Any fab ideas?

I was thinking of using Peace at Last and trying to put together a simple story sack(Can't afford to buy one) and for the chn to use the props to retell the story.  Doesn't seem very imaginative though and can't think of an inspiring display.

38034[/snapback]

We put together a story telling box (big enough for a child to sit in) for "Whatever Next" which our pre-school children used to 'act out' the story while the adult read it to the rest of the group. Wellies, colander for hat, picnic foods etc. The children loved acting out the roles, and parents enjoyed the resulting photos.

I'm not sure how old your children are (or how much space you have) but if the children could do some artwork relating to the story for a backdrop display, with the props displayed on a table in front. Since the props will be life sized, it may take up too much space, but it would be truly interactive!

Good luck finding inspiration: I'm sure the wise ones won't let you down!

Maz

I would certainly choose a book that the children are familiar with and if it's one you could easily get together some props for, so much the better. Traditional tales are good, such as Goldilocks and The Three Bears. Here I would enlist the help of your class- ask then to choose some of their favourite books and once one has been decided upon get them to suggest props and make some bits and pieces to go with it. This way they will really feel the story belongs to them and should fire up their enthusiasm for it all the more. If you can document the whole process (from how you decided on a story to the props themselves) then the display should make itself!

Sounds like a fantastic project - have fun. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)