Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 Billy Goats Gruff

hi,

our first topic this term is traditional tales and we are concentrating on goldilocks, 3 little pigs and 3 billy goats gruff, ive found loads of ideas for the first 2 but i was wondering if anyone had any great ideas for 3 billy goats gruff. i work in a nursery setting

thanks

Could do positional language - re-enact the story using toy animals or children could re-tell story in PE? Obvious links with different sizes - maths vocab. Use construction kits or junk to make bridges. Make a troll using dough. Use percussion instruments to make the sound of the different billy goats crossing the bridge - which instrument would be best for the smallest/largest billy goat and how should we play in (quiet/loud, slow and fast). I did this book with my Reception class last year and they worked in groups of four to act out the story. I also saw some children retelling the story in the water tray having made a bridge and using the small world figures (though they used a dinosaur in place of a troll). You could possibly look at a few different tellings of the story as the troll's appearance can be quite different. What about a PSE slant - was the troll a bully? Was there any other reason for him not letting the billy goats cross the bridge? Just a few quick thoughts - hope they help.

Harricroft

Good ideas there. We made a story sack which the children love with green and brown fabric for the two sides of the bridge.

They could make their own little books - depending on ability and concentration, they could have pictures to cut out and stick or draw their own.

Hi,

We planted grass seed in seed trays under different conditions (water, light/dark etc) and discussed which grass the billy goats would prefer. (We used wild grass seed and ordinary lawn seed as well) Made a list of words that described different grasses and displayed with children's drawings.

Made a bridge outside for role play, also left bridge building materials out in construction, small world and craft areas for children to use independently

Used laminated cut out goats ordered by size, sorted 'all these are small' etc

Musical patterns, 'trip trap' etc.

Retold story in the style of 'Bear Hunt'. Also played listening games, children took it in turns to say 'It's only me little/big billy goat ' in appropriate squeak or gruff voce and blindfolded child guessed (or not) who was speaking/where in room child was.

Hope this helps

Barb

We made this Troll's head from papier mache. We had a very large sieve which we covered - making two halves then joined them, I lined it with white paper on the inside so the children did not get news print on their faces.

We already had some goat masks we had bought from our local farm shop. Children used these props to retell the story. We used this as an end of term entertainment.

post-1979-1125436304_thumb.jpg

Mimi - how clever are you then? - obviously very creative what with your papier mache skills and flower pot washing line - troll looks fantastic. Some great ideas here I love the growing the grass one too.

Nikki

There are some lovely ideas here. I have a long time ago now linked this story in with a mini theme on bridges and structures but it was with year one. The children worked together to make bridges out of straws, rolled up newspaper etc

Late addition to this topic - finding it hard to get my head back into work mode!

Children have junk-modelled their own idea of a bridge using whatever box size/shape etc they wanted. They problem-solved getting their bridge to go 'up, across & down again', how to join it, what with, how strong, how can I improve it. They tested their models with plastic farm animal goats etc., used digital cameras to record their model and then used clay for a troll or drew and cut one out if they preferred. They then made finger puppets in small, medium & large so they could act out the story. Not bad for 3 and 4 year olds eh? There was loads of discussion about was the troll bad, was it good, was it a girl or boy, perhaps it wanted to play...We all had great fun! Beware, though, it can run and run!!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)