Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Attaching Playgroup Onto A School

Hello

Was wondering if anyone had any advice....

My head has spoke about trying to connect our feeder playgroup to the school. Has anyone got any experience with this process? What needs to be done? How do you go about it....etc, etc!!! Would it become our school nursery?

I like the idea but can't get my head around it.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

Claire

By connect what exactly does she mean?

Does the school not have its own nursery already?

Our wraparound nursery provision provides afternoon nursery sessions in the same room as maintained nursery uses in the morning.

We are run by school and are under the umbrella of the school so inspected as part of the school.

This arrangement could have big plus points for you but I suppose it really does depend exactly what the Head is intending!

Exciting though!

Hmmm well I do not think he is completely sure. He wants to properly connect it to the school so it becomes part of us. I am assuming it would then transfer into a school nursery and no longer have a committee etc.

We currently do not have our own nursery.

I think it would be a fantastic opportunity but it is how to get the committee to agree as I am assuming they would no longer be needed and the staffing would change due to the different requirements for playgroups and nurseries!!

Thanks for your help

x

I would think carefully about this - be sure what the head wants. If he wants a nursery class as part of the school, he would only be taking your 'rising 4's' , does he really want your 2 year olds? Maybe he just wants a closer connection - you say you are a 'feeder ' play group and he would benefit from your good reputation as well as vice versa.

Would it join in with the reception year - under the existing teacher? There would be staffing and ratio implications for you. This seems to be happening locally here, schools are doing it to boost their numbers. It may well be good for them, but if you're a thriving group, why change things?

Will be interested to hear how this turns out

Jo

Edited by calicojo

I am the reception teacher! We have a class of 28 generally! I had a nursery attached at my old school and it worked well. It's just the setting up!!

Ooh, got it the wrong way round, sorry for misunderstanding. What sort of relationship do you have with the pre school? Do they know about the plans? Could they be a separate entity (still committee run) on school premises, which they might like depending on where they are now.

If you opened you own nursery unit, what would the implications be for the pre school? Would they be viable with less children?

We have a good relationship with the pre-school and they are aware of the plans and the manager seems to like the idea. I think she struggles with the committee and likes the idea of not having them. They are currently on a shared site with us so we can plan a lot for transition etc. The pre-school would not exist if we opened our nursery, it would become our nursery. I tried to look for information on the process but couldn't find a lot of information.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)