Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Money Makes The World Go 'round

Hi juliesheard,

Pay does differ around the country but your salary is similar to what I pay.

As an employer I would love to pay my staff much more than I am able to but I am governed by what parents can afford, what the government pays and of course actual attendences at my preschool.

Last year my deputy earnt £3,000 more than me and I work on average a 70hr week :o

Local Authoritys are known to pay more because they have many "pots" to pay from.

Good luck with your move.

Peggy

I pay my assistants £6 an hour and am hoping to give them a pay rise in September-as long as the church doesn't sting me for a huge rent rise. :oxD

Like Peggy I would love to pay them far more but it all depends on numbers etc. I think you will find this the case wherever you go.

Linda

We are a privately owned preschool in Southampton.

We encourage all our staff to do courses, and in order to give an incentive we pay them more once they are qualified. Otherwise why would they bother!

Do you have an annual pay review/appraisal? That might be a good time to ask if you are due a rise now that you have your level 3. (Although if you worked for me you'd get the rise immediately!). I would pay £6.30 for a good quality member of staff with level 3.

Carolyn

Hi Julie,

I can't pay my staff what I think they're worth, and if I went back to my previous job of teaching a primary class, I would earn three times my current salary!! :o

I do think, however, that you should be given a wage increase, however small, for achieving a qualification. Have you asked directly for a pay increase?

One of our staff was on £5.65, she has now completed her nvq 3 and her pay will increase to £6.00.

From april next yr minimum wage will be £5.30. Did you really spend all that time at studying for your level 3 to get minimum wage.

net x

Hi sallyw here I have not posted for a while because I have been really busy finishing my nvqlevel 3. I work in a private day nursery in Notts

I am paid hourly as well as the other staff (The manager and deputy are both salaried) I am paid the minimum wage of £4.85p, some of the other staff who are qualified (NNEB) and are under the age of 21 get paid the minimum wage also. Reading the posts makes me very envious especially when I see what other nurseries are paying in other parts of the country.

Our area seems to be falling behind with the pay structure based in other areas.

I must admit I love my job and the children I work with but sometimes I do get disheartened when I see jobs for stacking shelves in supermarkets that pay more

I think something will have to change in the near future because there will be a shortage of good people in childcare because the money is just not good enough especially for the work and dedication we put into our work

Sorry for moaning SALLY

thanks for your thoughts everyone. I did broach the subject but was told that the nursery was in -ve profit(?!) and that the owner would chat about pay after her skiing holiday!! I'm thinking of doing the assessors course now as 'round here they get @ £9.00 an hour, and I could work to please myself and still have the opportunity to work for children too.

35263[/snapback]

Without wishing to sound rude, would you have wanted an assessor who had only just qualified to level 3? It is nice work if you can get it (I did it years ago) but don't bank on it as £9 hour for a whole day as you may only have one candidate for a term say.

I agree with the others that you should certainly get a rise once qualified. Our assistants earn £5.55 an hour and once level 3 their wage rises immediately tho tbh I'm not sure what to as I leave the money side to the committee!

Very good point, there pandamonium!

Not much bread on the table with 1 candidate - say - 3 - 4 hours work, maybe, each unit (that's generous) -that's £36.00 (let's talk 4 hours!) per unit, how many units? - 14! 36 x 14 = £504.00 - spread over how long?.......(and that's one candidate for a whole award)

Think carefully.

Sue :)

I'm doing some research for an assignment, came across the MORI staffing and salary survey for 2002/3 (2003/4 isn't published yet!). The findings on salary are very interesting:-

MORI found that Senior Managers work on average of 20 hours/week, and earn £6.50/hour. Supervisors work 17 hours/week on average, earning £5.60/hour. Other childcare staff work 13 hours/week, earning an average £4.80/hour.

These are obviously only averages, but it makes interesting reading....

With regard to NVQ assessing, wasn't I reading a discussion elsewhere on the forum about there being a national shortage of Assessors? Presumably this only works in your favour if there's a shortage in your area.

MORI found that 7% of senior managers in their survey were NVQ assessors...

Also, 9% (6,000) of those working towards a higher qualification were doing an NVQ: the most common qualification being undertaken by staff covered by the poll.

Maz

I'll come back to this when I've a bit more time...

35391[/snapback]

MORI also found that 99% of Foundation Stage practitioners actually have fewer hours in their day than most other professions.

Well I made that bit up, obviously: but it sounds plausible to me.

Maz

I'm doing some research for an assignment, came across the MORI staffing and salary survey for 2002/3 (2003/4 isn't published yet!).  The findings on salary are very interesting:-

MORI found that Senior Managers work on average of 20 hours/week, and earn £6.50/hour.  Supervisors work 17 hours/week on average, earning £5.60/hour.  Other childcare staff work 13 hours/week, earning an average £4.80/hour.

These are obviously only averages, but it makes interesting reading....

With regard to NVQ assessing, wasn't I reading a discussion elsewhere on the forum about there being a national shortage of Assessors?    Presumably this only works in your favour if there's a shortage in your area. 

MORI found that 7% of senior managers in their survey were NVQ assessors...

Also, 9% (6,000) of those working towards a higher qualification were doing an NVQ: the most common qualification being undertaken by staff covered by the poll.

Maz

35386[/snapback]

trying this quote thing out, also, but hey!! Surely those hours aren't per WEEK!! Obviously, I just woke up!!

Sue :o

Without wishing to sound rude, would you have wanted an assessor who had only just qualified to level 3? It is nice work if you can get it (I did it years ago) but don't bank on it as £9 hour for a whole day as you may only have one candidate for a term say.

I agree with the others that you should certainly get a rise once qualified. Our assistants earn £5.55 an hour and once level 3 their wage rises immediately tho tbh I'm not sure what to as I leave the money side to the committee!

35362[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying but its not like im an inexperienced 17yr old. I have two children myself- one 12 one 2, I have worked with children for the past 7 yrs (0-10yrs) and I am educated to HNC level in another field. Would you suggest I did some other course? I guess Im just feeling a little undervalued at the moment- maybe not achieving my potential.I originally wanted to teach primary school but went into the chemical industry instead! Do you think its maybe too late for me to work towards that? Im 34 by the way :-(

I originally wanted to teach primary school but went into the chemical industry instead! Do you think its maybe too late for me to work towards that? Im 34 by the way :-(

35398[/snapback]

Go for it! I was older than that when I made the career change into teaching and I had a friend on the course who was over 50 :D

I'd say go for it, with your eyes wide open.

Its not the age of the person that's important, its what they have learned from their life experiences that counts.

Oh, and a sense of humour always helps when things get tough!

Maz

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx To You All XX

Finished NVQ on Friday!!!

Brilliant Site, Loads Of Support

Fab Fab Fab

Next Projects:

1) Spend time with BOTH my children

2) Catch up with friends Ive ignored for the past 8 mths

3) Clean my house

* any help with number 3 appreciated!

YAY well done you. NOw you can have some 'me' time.

I hope I didn't offend you as I did assume you had just left school and gone straight to NVQ!

It's worth doing the assessor training anyway isn't it and seeing how it goes...