Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reference Dilemma

Lyanne

I'm currently the Acting Manager in the preschool I've worked in since 1999, because the previous manager passed away suddenly in December. I'm filling in my application for the manager post & have got stuck when I get to referees - who do I put?

I can't put the previous manager who would have been the ideal person to give me a reference as we'd worked together all that time :-(

There is no other person working in the setting who I could ask to be a referee.

I have my tutor from when I was at uni, but I haven't been back to uni since May 2011 so will need to phone the uni & leave a message to check that's ok (ie, is she still at the uni!) & I want to put her as 1 & that is appropriate.

But for the second, I'm rather stuck. I could give my vicar for a personal reference; the Group Scout Leader as I'm Chairman of my boys' Scout Group, again that would be a personal reference really though he could comment on how I lead meetings etc with the Scout Group.

If I were applying for a job somewhere else, I could give the preschool Chair of Directors, & she's seen me in the work setting as well as having her own early years experience, so really could comment well on my practice. But she's doing the short-listing and interviewing, so that hardly seems appropriate...

I have been working closely with our Liaison teacher - do you think it would be ok to ask her if she could be a referee?

Doing my best to move past that section of the form & concentrate on filling in the rest as well as I can! But I need to put 2 down (I did think I could offer the 2 personal + my tutor - obviously the Directors know the situation).

I think you should put down a referee from your place of work if possible and whilst I see the conflict of interest that you mention with the pre school chair of committee in my opinion it should be a conversation to have with her.

When our first school closed down and re opened as a primary school it was my Head who interviewed me and I put him down as a reference because we had worked together for so long.

Perhaps check with the chair to see if she would agree or if she felt it inappropriate? If there isnt a work reference then a note as to why probably needs to be on there somewhere. . . . .

Good luck!

I think you should put down a referee from your place of work if possible and whilst I see the conflict of interest that you mention with the pre school chair of committee in my opinion it should be a conversation to have with her.

When our first school closed down and re opened as a primary school it was my Head who interviewed me and I put him down as a reference because we had worked together for so long.

Perhaps check with the chair to see if she would agree or if she felt it inappropriate? If there isnt a work reference then a note as to why probably needs to be on there somewhere. . . . .

Good luck!

Thank you! I am sure she will be happy to provide the reference but I didn't know if that looked rather biased!