Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holidaying In Edinburgh

Hello everyone :D

I'm off to Edinburgh soon for a short break, and I can't wait, but I'm not sure of how to plan my little holiday. We will be there for a long weekend and I want to make the most of it, but all I know about is Edinburgh Castle. So, I was just wondering if any of you have ever been there or live there, and could give me some ideas of things to do or places to visit.

Look forward to hearing from you.

G. :o

I just love Edinburgh. We live 20 miles away from London but prefer Edinburgh.There is lots to do there and entrance fees to places of interest are so much cheaper. Each time we visit we find yet another attraction to see. If you like walking Arthurs Seat is woth a climb. Very chilly up there though. Holyrood house, Edinburgh Castle and The Childhood Museum are so interesting. If you like Gardens The Botanical Gardens are very similiar to Kew.The large department store Jenners is worth a visit. It overlooks a park. In this park is a tall building like the monument that you can climb. The Royal Yatch Britannia is worth a visit.We haven't found the need to hire a car there because the buses are so reasonable. Many are open-topped accompanied by Scottish music and pre-recorded information along the route. Oh dear only just come back from there a few weeks ago and I want to go back.Next time I want to visit Dynamic Earth. We have a good excuse though because my husband saw a jacket he liked in Marks but as we only take hand luggage with us he thought he would buy it locally but hooray they didn't stock it. The only downside to Edinburgh is that it is colder than Essex. Have a good time and keep me posted.

"St Mary's Close" is worth a visit if you like things spooky!! :D But you will need to book ahead for a tour. My family enjoyed the Camera Obscura although I gave the climb a miss! The cafe where JK Rowlings wrote the Harry Potter stories is now an eat all you like chinese buffet and worth a visit but I cant tell you where to find it except that we followed signs to it (the chinese!) from The Royal Mile.

Do take one of the bus tours as they are well worth the money and tickets are usually valid for at least 24hrs and they give you a good impression of the city.

Have fun.