Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice

Lucie

Hi, I think I already know the anwer to this question but...

At school we have an after school club, one of the ladys who works in their is a parent of a child at the school who therefore attends. last week i was talking to a teacher in the classroom where a.s.c was happening.

This child wasn't sitting on his chair properly and as the parent was walking past him she smacked him (on his bottom) to get him to sit down. it wasn't hard/malicious etc, BUT

what would you have done if you'd seen that?

Lucie

I think a quiet word in the ladies ear pointing out that that isn't acceptable even if it is her own child! In actual fact it could be seen as gross misconduct which could lead to immediate suspension and probably/possibly loss of job!

It is a difficult situation when it is the staff members own child but she has to be seen to set an example of the care and conduct of the ASC as a whole and so she does need someone to talk to her about it.

I expect she had not thought about the action in a global sense!

I had a staff member who continually broke the rules with regards to giving her own child sweets in ASC when sweets were not allowed in the school as a whole.

Tricky when you are told to mind our own business because it is her child! Had to get the Head to reiterate the rules to her!

She didn't stay long and often felt the rules were not meant for her and her child!