Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed!

Hi everyone

I have never posted before but just feel I need some advise from all the experienced people on here as i'm feeling a bit fed up and disheartened! I've got a large day nursery and we practice the foundation stage we have recently had our first Estyn inspection and just had within same week our CSSIW inspection . The Estyn inspection was not good and mainly focused on the lack of planning or correct planning. We have been doing it for 2 years now and have a support teacher who comes in once a week. I haven't had any direct involvment with planning in this area and have delegated to other staff who work in the pre-school but I don't understand why after 2 years the planning can be wrong or not detailed enough especially as the staff have attended all the training and surely the support teacher would have known this but she has never fedback to me anything. I just wondered if anyone else had any experiences similar to this? The staff are supported by my manageress. I have direct involvment with all other areas of the Nursery I have been told by my inspector (CSSIW) to delegate more and now with this I feel like I need to train in foundation Phase and take control of the planning. Any advise would be greatly received thankyou x

Hello Happydays,

Well done for making your first post!

Although I don't know the details of the Foundation Phase in Wales, I'm fairly sure it has many similarities to the EYFS, and therefore observation and planning methods are likely to be similar.

Can you describe what your observation/assessment/planning system is like, eg

* Does everyone do their own, ie for their group of children, or is it a team activity?

* Are observations of each child a strong feature, upon which planning is based?

* Is your planning for babies different to that for toddlers and older children? How?

* How do you share planning and achievements with parents?

And then.....if you're still with us (!), can you tell us exactly what Estyn said about the lack of planning/wrong planning? What did they want to see in place?

I hope we can all help in some way.....so don't despair :o

Guest Spiral

Absoloutely!

Just wanted to say it isn't your fault! I'm always being told to delegate, share the workload etc...and now I'm reeling in the line of being in charge again - my staff have been great, I delegated to the committee (the items they should do anyway) and have given up after a year and resigned to do them myself again!

However, on a good note, I think you've done exactly what has been asked of you and I'm sure you can ask a few poignant questions that will get the staff thinking, motivated and working on a plan of action.

Welcome happydays and Wales-my favourite place to explore!

Spiral x