Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pshe Books For Lessons Obs

Hi all, I have a lesson obs next week for an interview. It is to each in an autistic unit within a mainstream school.

I have to do a 15min session on PSE with 15 mixed Y2,3,5 and autistic children/children with communication difficulties. I can think of plenty of good PSHE books but need some ideas about what to do as a story & chatting is a bif boring!!

Any ideas gratefully received

Many thanks

Edited by vicky6

Will you have access to an interactive whiteboard? In my 2 years experience of teaching autistic children they tend to focus better on the whiteboard rather than listening to a book. I often make Power points of whatever story we're learning about and they really enjoy them. Failing that, rhyming books are the next best thing.

It sounds like a very mixed group! Good luck x

Quick edit... I forgot to mention this website- http://www.littleparachutes.com/ useful for finding books about particular PHSE topics

Edited by Guest

Thanks for that. I would imagine I have an interactive board (I need to check) and have a copy of the rainbow fish, but think this is too young for year 5!!

Thanks for that. I would imagine I have an interactive board (I need to check) and have a copy of the rainbow fish, but think this is too young for year 5!!

Hello - Im new here, first post and all but.....I love Dinosaurs and all that rubbish possibly by Michael Foreman. Nothing to do with Communication!

Little Lumpty is good for good and bad choices - why did he get on the wall when he was asked not to? Why did he stay there so long before calling for help? (research suggests children will wait for as long as possible before asking for help for fear of getting in trouble)

I have a list of excellent books that were used on a PSHE course I went on recently - but it is at school. Ill update tomorrow.

ooh- Beegu by Alexis Deacon - an alien that gets lost on earth with no friends -ive made posters about what I would do to make Beegu feel less lonely. Talked about why the adults don't seem to like her etc. She tries to communicate with people but noone understands her.

These are some nice books but I havent taught autistic children so Im unsure what you would do with them for the children.

Good Luck

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)