Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Capital Letters

HiI

I teach a Year R class and am not sure how much emphasis I should put on capital letter formation. Do people introduce it at the same time as lower case-ie as you introduce each sound during phonics sessions? Some of my children are finding our cursive difficult enough and still need lots of pre writing skill practice, but our Year 1 teacher is 'up in arms' because the class she inherited from me last September don't know all their capitals. What do others do?

Hello,

We were having the same conversation today at school... The children in my year R class have already noticed they have a 'big' letter at the start of their name and have also encountered difficulties typing their name on some of our less child-friendly keyboards (which are all in Caps) in the ICT suite! I talked to them about capitals briefly as they have raised the issue- the more able tend to tune in to these sorts of discussions and have demonstrated some awareness as they noticed capitals on our alphabet frieze and in the shared reading book this afternoon. I may cover this in more depth later in the year or in small group sessions with the HA children. I think if they are not ready, there's no point even going there!

HiI

I teach a Year R class and am not sure how much emphasis I should put on capital letter formation. Do people introduce it at the same time as lower case-ie as you introduce each sound during phonics sessions? Some of my children are finding our cursive difficult enough and still need lots of pre writing skill practice, but our Year 1 teacher is 'up in arms' because the class she inherited from me last September don't know all their capitals. What do others do?

I would expect that reception children should know both upper and lower case letters by the end of reception.........................just have lots of displays and introduce them alongside lower case starting after christmas or so when they should be doing phase three phonics and they are more able to cope I find.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)