Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Naughty Boys

I don't like using the term 'naughty' but it is the only one that seems to apply to a small group of boys in my class. I have Year 1 whom I brought up from Year R and so know them really well. However i am really struggling with some of the behaviour. I am fortunate to have a very able class and a majority who are able to get on and work with little support however I have another group who need support and then there are my SEN group who are all boys. No matter what strategy I apply positive or negative, rewards,sanctions nothing seems to impact on them. Yes they have learning difficulties and we have addressed these needs and now we know that some of their difficulty is down to their behaviour. I have tried to address the issue with the parents but they continually use the excuse they are little, they're young, they're tired etc but this can only go so far and it is having an impact on my teaching and the other childrens learning. My headteacher is very supportive but we are both at a wits end I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or tried something different. I have reward charts, marble jars, individual rewards, sanctions missing play or choosing time etc but they just don't seem to be working! I am really finding it hard to find the joy in teaching at the moment as all my time is spent on 3 children when really it should be on 30. Would appreciate any advice

How is your day structured? Is it very adult led? If these children are SEN or Low achieving, it may be that they there behaviour is because they are finding the structure difficult? Were they the same in Reception? Maybe try more outdoor learning to engage them?! I don't have any other ideas with behaviour management as it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Maybe try separating the children from each other so they don't copy each other so much?!

Good luck! x

I don't like using the term 'naughty' but it is the only one that seems to apply to a small group of boys in my class. I have Year 1 whom I brought up from Year R and so know them really well. However i am really struggling with some of the behaviour. I am fortunate to have a very able class and a majority who are able to get on and work with little support however I have another group who need support and then there are my SEN group who are all boys. No matter what strategy I apply positive or negative, rewards,sanctions nothing seems to impact on them. Yes they have learning difficulties and we have addressed these needs and now we know that some of their difficulty is down to their behaviour. I have tried to address the issue with the parents but they continually use the excuse they are little, they're young, they're tired etc but this can only go so far and it is having an impact on my teaching and the other childrens learning. My headteacher is very supportive but we are both at a wits end I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or tried something different. I have reward charts, marble jars, individual rewards, sanctions missing play or choosing time etc but they just don't seem to be working! I am really finding it hard to find the joy in teaching at the moment as all my time is spent on 3 children when really it should be on 30. Would appreciate any advice

Hi lizzielou what a sad post to read for both you and the children. A few questions?

Were these boys a problem also in reception?

Are there any activities they do enjoy doing?

Do you have Child Initiated time in Y1?

I would suggest as KST that perhaps the Y1 curriculum is not appropriate for these boys yet. We know that boys learn by doing and being active so it may be they need much more Child Initiated activities. My suggestion would be to forget all of your rewards etc and also to look at your routine. Discuss with this group on their own or as a small group that you are having problems accepting some to their behaviour and you would like them to come up with a solution to the problems. It may mean that they will have more CI activities but if this is what they need then so be it they are making no progress with your other interventions. Then as soon as you see then doing something that is good ( no matter how small) then acknowldege it! so it could be that first thing in the morning Thomas comes into class with a smile so you pounce on it " Ah! Good morning Thomas what a lovely smile you have on your face today!" All bright and cheery and then for the next wekk you continue. If they are not behaving do knot acknowledge them at all but find someone nearby doing what you want them to do and again give them lots of verbal acknowledgement and praise. Many children crave attention and do not mind if it is good or bad. It will take a few weeks to work but honestly it will make a difference to them and to you becasue you will not be feeling you are nagging so much.

There is an excellent book called Can't Come to my Birthday Party by Betsy Evans and is full of all sorts of behaviours and how to work with children who have inappropriate behaviour.

Good luck!

Lorna

KST I agree with you, sounds very adult led. Also makes me a little concerned that if these children have learning difficulties they probably need more learning though play. Also not ideal taking away their play time as this add to bad behaviour and frustration as they need to let off steam.

Have you thought about taking these children outside to undertake some of the work you are setting them? Perhaps with an assistant etc.,

Hi lizzielou,

What a shame to start off the year feeling like this, please don't let it get you down too much!

You say you have identified their needs, addressed them and you feel their behaviour is still a problem. Speaking as a lay person I'm afraid that there are families who don't have good boundaries in place for a variety of reasons. This will impact upon a child much more than any strategies you may put in place and work directly against them. You can only do so much - not work miracles. It could be that your strategies are actually working much better than you think.

I'm afraid I don't have anything more constructive to offer since I know little about Yr1 but just wanted to offer some support. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)