Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq Level 3 - P5 K& U 15

Stuck - :o

How to recognise and challenge prejudice and discrimination, and how to support those who are the object of it and those who perpetrate it (in relation of P5 involving parents in group activities)

I know how to recognise but how on earth do you deal with parents who are bullying other parents?!

Or have i really got it wrong?

Off the top of my head, & it's a while since I looked at this, are you sure it means bullying other parents? It might be telling their child to avoid a child who's not very clean, for instance. Or assuming that boys don't want do cooking activities, girls don't do physical activities etc.

Or is it about things like outings, parents' evenings etc? Not allowing their child to sit next to a family from an ethnic minority on the coach, for example? I can remember a DPP course incident that was reported to me - a supervisor was doing it with some of her staff group who were in the process of trying to 'get her out'. They did things like moving if she sat next to them, and as far as I know the tutor did nothing about it. [it was years ago!]

Looking at the question now, it's worded very loosely in the sense that the prejudice/discrimination could be coming from staff as well as parents. I'd be relating it to Equal Opps policies etc. How do we make sure we don't discriminate against certain groups? How do we address it if we do?

A bit rambling - it's been a long day! Hope I've helped rather than hindered!

This is definately in our Equal Opportunities Policy. Really it's just about stating that this would be challenged but discussions would be held in private and kept strictly confidential and dealt with sensitively and fairly (refering to the policies of your group). We must respect parents rights to hold other views, however they should be made aware of the policies regarding discrimination and have to adhere to them. You also should speak to the person who was the object of the discrimination, making them aware that this sort of behaviour is not tolerated. Be sympathetic and talk to them about the incident if they want and reassure them that any views expressed were not the views of the group and that further action would be taken if it continued. :)

This is definately in our Equal Opportunities Policy.  Really it's just about stating that this would be challenged but discussions would be held in private and kept strictly confidential and dealt with sensitively and fairly (refering to the policies of your group).  We must respect parents rights to hold other views, however they should be made aware of the policies regarding discrimination and have to adhere to them.  You also should speak to the person who was the object of the discrimination, making them aware that this sort of behaviour is not tolerated.  Be sympathetic and talk to them about the incident if they want and reassure them that any views expressed were not the views of the group and that further action would be taken if it continued.  :)

29385[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)