Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plan Do Review

Our children love to look at photos taken during the session via a digital photo frame - it's very 'instant' and accessible for them, and it helps to see what they recalled and what was most significant to them x

Not sure if that's the kind of thing you were thinking of : )

I would always split into two groups to plan and review and then I would never plan with everyone while the rest are listening. I may hear three children plan aloud and the others with talking partners and then the same three will review aloud and the rest with talking partners. If I have three adults we plan and review in three groups and as children have planned with an adult they go off to their chosen activities.

Lorna

• 2 weeks later...
I would always split into two groups to plan and review and then I would never plan with everyone while the rest are listening. I may hear three children plan aloud and the others with talking partners and then the same three will review aloud and the rest with talking partners.

This is really interesting. I teach a nursery class and work with two TAs during the morning sessions and one TA in the afternoons. At the moment we split into three groups in a morning and two in an afternoon for 'plan do review', and I encourage all the children in each group to say what they plan to do while the other children listen. I do find that the children get unsettled during this time, but I thought it was important for them to each have a turn at speaking, and also for them to listen to each other. However, I'm now re-thinking this! I like your idea of talk partners, but I'm confused about how you do this while also listening to three children plan aloud. Also, how do you ensure that the children planning in talk partners are really planning?

I hope you don't mind me asking questions. I'm interested in changing our 'plan do review' routine, and I like the sound of your approach :o

Hi browneyedgirl

Ok I have my whole group and and this end of the year I also have pictures of all of the areas that are available to work in during work time. At the very beginning of the year we were a whole group and to inroduce planning we got into a train and visited each of the areas in the classroom and what you can do there. As the time went on children would get off the train when we arrived at a place they wanted to work in and now they are ready to see the picute, remember what they like to do there and make a plan.

Now I have my group and I will say to the children Ok Tom, Dick and Mary will plan with me today and I want the rest of you to talk with your partenr about what you are planning to do remember take it in turns to talk and ask you partner what they think they might be doing in the area ( may not happen but we do get there in the end!!) I then plan with my three encouraging each child to expand on their ideas before they go off to work. I also encourage the other two to ask questions and to expand also. As I will have planned probably twice a week with the three I do not get too hung up on whether or not the children with talking partners do actually plan ( may be wrong but it works for me) but as time goes by becasue children are planning so often with an adult they get so used to it and enjoy it and so enjoy doing it with their talking partner. By the end of the year with a group of 9 say the other children are getting ready to listen but at this time of the year they are still very egocentric.

There is a good book I have used called Making the Most of Plan Do Review very helpful.

Lorna

At the very beginning of the year we were a whole group and to inroduce planning we got into a train and visited each of the areas in the classroom and what you can do there. As the time went on children would get off the train when we arrived at a place they wanted to work in and now they are ready to see the picute, remember what they like to do there and make a plan.

I love your train idea! I'll definitely be using that at the beginning of next year. It'll also be worth doing when I get new starters in the spring and summer terms :o

I also have pictures of all of the areas that are available to work in during work time.

I currently have photos of each area on a large board. I go round the children in turn and ask them to tell me what they plan to do, and then they stick their name card next to the appropriate photo. Do you think it's necessary to have this record, or do you just show the photos and let the children talk about them?

There is a good book I have used called Making the Most of Plan Do Review very helpful.

That book looks good, but it's very expensive on Amazon! Do you know where I could pick it up more cheaply?

Thank you for your help xD

Do you think it's necessary to have this record, or do you just show the photos and let the children talk about them?

No your professional judgement is fine and as time goes on you get to know the children really well you know where their gaps are.

That book looks good, but it's very expensive on Amazon! Do you know where I could pick it up more cheaply?

No sorry but I see you are in Yorkshire you may like to ask your EY team. I know a lot of Doncaster schools use the whole High/Scope philosophy there there may be some around or you could ask your library if they would get it for you or indeed ask your HT to buy it for the school!!!

good luck!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)