Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Nursery? What Hours Do U Start/finish?

Just curious! we now start at 8.45 and finish at 11.45. This is proving hard though as myself and jobshare do ppa cover in the afternoons so need to tidy nursery, set up, eat and prepare for afternoon classes in that time! we normally still have children there at 12pm, and often after. often end up with around 20 minutes for lunch. I know its a problem for everyone but just wondered how u fit in the 3 hours.

My Nursery class still operates within the same times as the rest of the school day to help parents dropping off and collecting siblings higher up the school. Nursery starts at 9.00 but since rest of school starts 8.50 I open my doors early. The morning session finishes at 12 but its a rush to get children to finish lunch for then. Most days children have left by 12.10. Some parents have opted for children to stay all day and they go home at 3.15. My lunchtime is covered by a classroom assistant (11.30-12.30) but this means I miss seeing parents at the end of the morning session. Really not sure how this will work when parents take up the afternoon session option which we will probably start in January as the session will run from 12.15. So : some children returning from lunch and going home/some children arriving to have lunch (but in the classroom as the rest of the school need the hall)/some children staying and having quiet time = chaos for one member of staff as the classroom assistant also doubles up as lunch time superviser higher up the school and needs her own lunch. I've lost my 15mins morning break time which was added onto my lunch time (previously 11.30 - 12.45 between sessions including prep for next session and which I always spent in class any way.) Really difficult to get anything done in class over my lunch time now as there are children in all day. Better staffing levels and a space for children's lunch would improve the situation. No idea how January will go! Gulp!

Just curious! we now start at 8.45 and finish at 11.45. This is proving hard though as myself and jobshare do ppa cover in the afternoons so need to tidy nursery, set up, eat and prepare for afternoon classes in that time! we normally still have children there at 12pm, and often after. often end up with around 20 minutes for lunch. I know its a problem for everyone but just wondered how u fit in the 3 hours.

We open at 8-30am till 11-30am then 12-15pm till 3-15pm. We get 15mins to turn around the nursery and then 30mins for lunch. Children attend either a morning or afternoon session as they have always done. This means we don't have to provide lunch or cover for that period.

We have to work extra hours due to job evaluation/single status cutting our wages -that's another story! xD

The nursery teacher works the normal school day 8-45am till 3pm, the extra 45mins per day is covered by support staff.

It is working really well for us :o

We have been offering up the 3 hour entitlement for 3 years or so now...... this might be our fourth year as we were a pathfinder county initially.

Our sessions are 9 -12 and 12 -3

We took the option of using the extra half an hour (from 2.5 hours entitlement to 3 hours) for lunch so really we are 9 -11.30 then lunch 11.30 -12

Afternoon children come in for lunch first 12 -12.30 then the session is 12.30 -3.

All in all lunch time is 11.30 -12.30 and the parents have the choice whther to use their entitlement or not.

some children pay £1 and stay the whole hour for lunch

Many of our children stay all day because as part of the education review around here they shut our maintained nursery session in the afternoon so we opened up privately.

Staffing wise, our teacher still only works in the morning until 11.30 as per her original contract.

I at that point also have one hour lunch

I have 2 staff work lunch time (both level 3's) and they stay with me through the afternoon too.

I suppose essentially it is different in our setting in that we chose to use some entitlement for lunch and because the setting is privately run from 11.30!!

(Even though we are run by school and I am there all day!!)

Also the children can stay in school till 6pm with the afterschool club!

Just to say also that we decided on these hours (9 -3) to stay inline with schools opening hours.

Not sure that helps!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

Ours runs from 8.45 - 11.45 and 12.30 - 3.30 - starting earlier than the rest of the school and ending later! As the teacher my 'official' hours don't quite cover those sessions but since it feels wrong to take a break in the middle of a session for 15 minutes I rarely did (on maternity leave now so its up to my stand-in to take the breaks if she wants them). I like the longer sessions but the organisation/timings definitely need tweaking - but will worry about that when I return from maternity leave next summer!

Our morning session runs from 8.30 - 11.30 and our afternoon session is from 12.25 - 3.25. At the moment it's going well and all the parents seem happy enough (although we've had one complaint from someone who thinks that an 8.30 start is too early for 3- and 4-year-olds). My only worry is that I'm in my own little bubble in nursery and I rarely see any of the other staff in school. We start earlier than the rest of the school and we finish later, and our lunches are at different times. As an NQT I'd prefer the hours to be different as I feel quite isolated, but generally I'd say it's working well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much different to previous post. 8-30 till 11-30 and 12-30 till 3-30. 39 children each session morning or afternoon. My nursery nurse's hours are 8-15 till 3-45 which they do which generally leaves no get together time for planning or anything else and for myself I usually get into school ablout 7-10 to get everything sorted especially busy on a monday.Have never been compensated for all the extra teaching hours I do compared to rest of school staff who have much longer times without children eg assembly time, playtime and 1hour 10mins without children at lunch time.

Our half-day sessions are 8.45-11.45 and 12.15-3.15. We offer flexible hours so some children instead of half-day do a full day 9.00 - 3.00. Looks quite good on paper however, how when you open the door for the half-dayers at 8.45 do you prevent the full-dayers (not suposed to start till 9.00) from coming in? Also I only work part-time so technically finish at 11.45 (most days still have children till 12). My NN works 8.30-11.45 so have absolutely NO TIME to set-up, plan or talk about children!! The NN has lunch 11.45-12.15 and then t.he afternoon session starts - so no time to talk then either. I find it so frustrating like Zambonie says I never have a minute in the day without children present. My room is also home for the breakfast and after school club - so even when they're not there, they're there!! I hate these longer sessions!!

Edited by Iusedtobeabox